End of Semester Thoughts

As my student teaching experience is winding down, it is definitely bittersweet! With two weeks left, I am starting to give my coop her classroom back and absorb as many strategies, materials and advice as possible. With that, I’ll share some experiences and advice I have for the end of student teaching!

1. Have the principal observe you- I know a lot of you are probably thinking “No way, that sounds terrifying”. That’s what I thought at first too, but it’s a great way to get your foot in the door either in your own school district or other districts; Principals talk! I am lucky enough to have a wonderful principal who is nothing but uplifting and encouraging, so approaching her to come observe me wasn’t so scary. After she came in to watch a shared reading lesson, I met with her in her office to discuss the lesson. She gave me a lot of valuable feedback, and it was nice to build a professional relationship with her. She even encouraged me to apply for some openings in the district. Your principals word, along with your coops, can go a long way with getting you a job interview!
  2. Go see other teachers! Now that I am no longer in full-takeover, I have a full schedule of other teachers I am going to see throughout these next two weeks. I am seeing every elementary grade, including ELL, Special Ed, and Reading Interventions. You never know what position you may be interviewing for, so take advantage of the time you have to observe as many teachers and grade levels as possible!
  3. SAVE EVERYTHING. Again, this is the last time you will be exposed to so many ideas, strategies and materials. Whether you have a file folder for paper copies, or a google doc for electronics, keep every worksheet and project you come in contact with! You never know what grade you will end up teaching, so saving these things can help in the long run.

I still can’t believe how fast this semester has gone by. I’m looking forward to making the most of my last two weeks!

P.S. I passed the edTPA! 🙂

Image result for celebration gif