Take Over Time

There comes a point, about half way through the semester, when it is time to fully become the teacher. This transition should be smooth yet still nerve racking (at least that is what I kept telling myself). I knew that I was ready and that I have practically been taking over thus far so it would not be a large transition. In my middle school placement, I have two different classes to plan for: honors math and general math. With this ‘luxury’, I am saved tremendous amount of time when it comes to the planning aspect of a take over. I only have to plan two different lessons, where I would have to plan out a lot more with elementary. Another ‘luxury’ that I have is my co-taught classes. All four of my general math classes are co-taught between me and either an ESL teacher or SPED teacher. This means that while I fully consider and plan supports for those individual students, I do not have to do it alone. I am able to plan a lesson, collaborate with my two co-teachers, and develop a plan for how to reach those students. I am not bogged down by the thought of having to plan for so many different people that I am still in the process of getting to know but instead of awesome resources for that support so I can be as effective as possible.

Now, although I say I have these luxuries, I have some challenges as well. Middle school is a very weird world in its own education bubble. 12-13 year olds are a different breed of human. I love the added challenge of supporting their emotional and personal growth alongside their academic growth. We all remember how weird middle school can be because it is a time of transition. As a teacher, my role is to be a resource for students during their transition and help eliminate as much stress and confusion as possible when it comes to their time in the classroom.

I pride myself on being a caring and fun teacher (at least I think I’m fun). By knowing how ‘weird’ middle school is, I want my students to enjoy their time with me. I want my students to feel safe and supported in the classroom and that my presence in their life is a positive one. With my full takeover happening, I have to assert myself so students understand my role as both a teacher and supporter. With my cooperating teacher being an almost 60 year old man, our teacher styles are wildly different. Knowing this, my transition has even more added pressure to be smooth and effective for my students.

Thus far, I think my students are beginning to recognize me as the adult in the classroom. I came excited to continue to work through this and see where my takeover takes me. This experience is unlike anything else and I am excited to take full advantage of my new position!

Miss C

Published by

hcurtis2@illinois.edu

I am a senior in the College of Education taking on the adventure of student teaching in the Chicago Suburbs. This is my trials, turbulences, and triumphs in the seventh grade!