Journalism Helps Change Perspective and Habits

After spending almost an entire semester studying journalism and writing articles, I can say that I have a greater appreciation for what journalists do. Finding story ideas and sources is not always easy. The first assignment of speaking to three different strangers was something I was expecting to be easy. But, I ended up being really nervous to talk to people I had never met.

I also think how news is told can really influence people’s perceptions about the world. This is why journalists have such an important job. If they go against basic ethics they can affect a lot of people’s beliefs. Even small changes, like editing pictures in a certain way, can be dangerous. Journalism is a field that comes with a lot of responsibility. If people push the boundaries and start crossing ethical lines, they should not be creating news stories.

Taking journalism also made me more aware of where I get my news from. Before the class, I tended to use social media as a way to get my news. After learning more about getting reliable news from Stephanie Craft’s talk, I go straight to news outlets to try to get the most accurate news possible. Hearing about stories through sharing and word of mouth is not always the best way to get news. I also started reading the newspaper more. Since most places on campus offer newspapers for free, it is one of the best way to get news on campus.