The Power of Pen

News has been evolved over generations, with the popularity of social media. Though the forms of news gets spread become more diverse, its function and purpose has not changed. Journalism serves as the mirror, the watchdog and the marketplace. To fulfill its function, journalists sometimes have to risk their lives to report truth for the citizens. For example, the newspaper Sunday Leader had exposed government corruption for years, and at the end of the day, its editor Lasantha Wickramatunga was gunned.

Utilizing the right of free expression, as a journalist I should observe, verify and report truth. At the age of twelve, I published an article in Qianjiang newspaper about the endless homework assigned during my childhood, and received many letters of support. This article made the public reexamine and criticize China’s test-oriented education system. That was the first time I realized the importance of publishing articles that reflect society’s problems.  I was able to see proof that a young girl could attract the public’s attention through the power of the pen. To become a professional journalist is the way I chose. I hope to enhance public awareness using the power of the pen, leading promotion in social equality.