Opinion Column Two

I watched ABC News over the weekend and noticed a lot of values we discussed in class in the newscast I watched. One story, called The Sweetheart Scam, applied to human interest because Valentine’s day is on Tuesday. I think it’s smart for ABC to do a newscast based on Valentine’s day and tie in some of the statistics and costs. In the story they mention how 18.2 billion is spent on Valentine’s day related purchases, over 4 billion of that will be spent on jewelry alone. The average spender will spend 130$, this applies to human interest and ties into the everyday spender on Valentine’s day. One story that stuck out to me was how US authorities were rounding up illegal immigrants around the country and deporting them, this applies to the Impact and Conflict values because yes, Trump is upholding his promise to get rid of violent and dangerous criminals making in impact on this country, but this also presents the conflict value as not all these families are violent and some have children who are in fact legal citizens. ABC defines news well with these core values that I believe every newscast should incorporate to make their stories as effective as they can be.