Bizarre Warnings

We all know that smoking cigarettes is bad for our health. We also know most of the diseases that result from this habit. In America, cigarette packages have plain black and white health warnings on them that most smokers overlook and that some non-smokers don’t even know are on there. Ironically, it’s different in Turkey and warning labels are much more bold. I say ironically because not even a tourist could miss the warning labels on cigarettes here, yet 37.6% of male deaths are caused by smoking-related illnesses according to the World Lung Foundation and Turks are known for the saying ‘Smoke like a Turk’. To clarify what I mean by bold warning labels, these packages have distressing graphics to show people what happens when they smoke. The pictures cover pretty much the entire package and they range from showing a couple on opposite sides of the bed portraying that smoking ruins or hurts relationships to hospitalized babies. It definitely shocked me and made me more aware of the dangers of smoking.

2 thoughts on “Bizarre Warnings

1. Do you see men smoking in the streets and in public places? Do you see women smoking as well? Do the people there mostly smoke cigarrettes or are they also smoking “hookahs”?

2. Both men and women smoke in public places, but men more often than women. You usually see the younger generation of women smoking, I’m not sure I’ve seen an older women smoking. Hookah bars are definitely on every corner, but you see people smoking cigarrettes everywhere you turn.