Jobs Abroad: Guides

One necessity every journalist abroad– and every group abroad– should have is a knowledgeable tour guide. We are lucky to have Ibrahim, who has done everything from bringing us breakfast in the morning to providing names for contacts. The U of I Business Honors group that is also here have Okhan, a professional tour guide who has taken in high-class clients such as Hillary Clinton and Angelina Jolie.

I had a quick Q&A session with him over dinner, and we were able to have a quick chat about his job.

Q: Can you describe what your job entails?

A: I work for the Turkish ministry and as a private tour guide. Guide agencies have my record, and they call me when they have groups all over the world.

Q: How did you jump into this line of work?

A: I started 3 years ago, after I graduated from University. It actually wasn’t my subject of study– I studied International Relations. The economic situation made me go in this direction.

Q: You’ve been a guide for people like Hillary Clinton. Can you tell me about those experiences?

A: There was nothing special. I got my program from the ministry, and I did it. When Hillary Clinton came, I actually was a guide for six different countries– the United States, Germany, Japan, Rwanda, Poland, and South America. I do like private groups, though, like [the U of I Honors Business group], because they’re more relaxed.

Q: What do you love most about your job?

A: With all jobs, if you’re relaxed, and if you’re not panicked, you can do. For me, the city is very beautiful, and it is better than working in one place. It is an easy job.