November 11th, 2016

I’m working my way through the EMS storage/archive to catalog the final materials (including unmarked tapes, DATs, videos, etc.). I met with Scott from the Sousa and he will be using my master database to serve as a guide to understanding what is moving into the Sousa Archives, what needs to be immediately addressed, and as a step forward to making the materials accessible. Additionally, I talked to Scott regarding my concerns about how materials may be significant to other institutions outside UIUC. It was fun showing Scott around the collection and pointing out some of the finds that I think are most significant. Scott seemed grateful for my work and I was happy to hear him explain how much my work was helping the Sousa Archive (and preserving this collection as a whole). The collection will be moved on 12/9. We approximated it will take twenty-four boxes (cubic foot) and some oversized boxes to house the collection.

Scott S. should be emailing Dr. Fieldsteel to verify the move but all of the papers are already in place for moving the collection to the Sousa (this was done by Scott W. before the arrival of Dr. Fieldsteel).

I talked to Scott S. regarding my conversation with Mrs. Dorothy Martirano who has located more materials to be potentially donated to the Sousa. Scott said he will contact her regarding these materials and also what we have found in the collection pertaining to Sal.

I emailed Scott W. regarding materials and scores that he authored that are in the collection. These materials will be donated to the Sousa unless Scott W. wants to reclaim them.

After the move of this collection, I will write a finding aid and a list of recommendations for the Sousa Archive. This is good form for an archivist and will serve as a good exit project for this Independent Study.

All is moving forward and soon this collection will have a long-term home!