Session #4

The Animal’s Place article was very interesting to me since I’m a vegetarian and only have been for 4years. I thought that this article brought up good point about why you should or shouldn’t eat meat and it got me thinking. My question would be : According to the article why eating meat would not be so bad or even beneficial?

One point that Pollan brought up was the animal killing when combines harvest grain and kill a lot of mice and other rodents as well as killing of other animals by pesticides. He said that according to Steve Davis if all people became vegetarians, the total number of animals killed every year would actually increase. This was a different point of view that I never thought before. The author of the article also states that a lot of people choose not to eat meat because of the moral aspect and how the animals are treated in the farms and how they are slaughtered. He says that if more slaughter houses had open windows so people could see what is going on behind more people either would become vegetarians and/or protest against such behaviors. I think I would also start eating meat if it was just like from the farm like Polyface Farm where animals are allowed to be them and are killed in a human way.