Spotlight

Spotlight tells the story of the titular investigative team of the Boston Globe and their investigation into allegations of child molestation by several priests and the subsequent attempts by the Catholic Church to hide this horrifying institutional failure. To attempt to aggregate and summarize my extensive review, I will say that Spotlight is an extremely impressive and competent film in almost every aspect. I especially was impressed that writer and director Tom McCarthy, as well as co-writer Josh Singer, were able to make everything in the film seem so realistic and in no way overdramatic or “cinematic.” Of course, this is a testament to the talent of brilliant actors like Mark Ruffalo and Michael Keaton. I, admittedly, have often had “crises of faith” when it comes to pursuing the field of journalism; Spotlight and the real-life events upon which it is based helped me regain perspective on the importance of journalism. That might sound overdramatic. I don’t mean to say that the film is life-altering, but I would never have been exposed to this story if it wasn’t such a well-made and engrossing film. Had I not seen the movie (because I love movies), I may have given up on journalism. Thankfully, I did not. Spotlight is a great film with masterful directing, writing, and acting, and is paced perfectly in order to keep the attention of the audience. I found it highly enjoyable and interesting.