Post Spring Break: Fear No More

The week after spring break: the start of a new chapter, tired or over energetic students, and a case of the week after spring break. This is always a tough week, on everyone. The students were overwhelmed, despite having just had a break. As a [student] teacher it is important to keep this in mind. I use this week to ease the students back into their routine and expectations. I realize that over spring break the students do as little school and as much of their own hobbies and interests. I make sure to start on a new unit so that the students are starting on a fresh note along with the wacky week. To do so I make sure to plan ahead so that I can end a previous unit before spring break and give out an assessment with enough time to reteach (if a reteach lesson must be taught). This then gives me the flexibility to start on a new section when the students are back from break.

This then leads me to just how important it is to plan. Plan ahead as often as you can. It is so easy to get trapped in everything else that needs to get done: grading papers, organizing files in the room, phone calls, etc. By the time you get home you are ready to call it a night. Instead ensure that you have planned for the next day, have all materials prepared, and everything has been practiced to prepare for any possible errors or confusions in the lesson. This has been something I see new teachers and old teachers push off to the side. It is frustrating as our priority to those students is being the person who helps keep them organized, models organization and preparedness, and expects it in return.

Overall by preparing an ease back into the week and being prepared for the week and the lessons to be taught, the week went by smoothly. It’s often you’ll hear from experienced teachers “oh no, it’s the Monday back from break…prepare for chaos.” Honestly, I witnessed very minimal chaos and most of it was from conflicts unrelated to having had been on a break. The students appreciate the ease back into their routine, schedules, and expectations, and if needed time can easily be put in to discuss and remind students of the expectations of being at school and their tasks that should be completed.