Making things from okay to better

This week has been my first official TAKEOVER WEEK! I had my first parent-student-teacher reentry conference, got to plan and lead the class with my cooperating teacher less and less in the room, and had the chance to really get the students to see me as the authority figure in the room. So with regards to my feelings about takeover, it is probably the most scary, invigorating, and exciting feeling all at once. I’m still currently in the process of finishing and editing my edTPA, completing homework for my classes, applying for jobs, the entire rest of the campus is on spring break, and I am planning my lessons and activities. I take a lot of pride in my organization skills…but this really puts everything to a test. It gives me the real world experience. Regardless of whether I am the lead teacher, a teacher aide, or designing curriculum for a district there are deadlines to meet and bosses and people to conference with.

The student reentry meeting was a meeting with the 6th grade teachers, principal, and 6th grade intervention coordinator. This really allowed me to see how to handle a frusterating situation and make it positive and helpful to all. It was with regards to a student who was previously suspended and Tuesday was his first day back. His parents were upset, the student was seeming uninterested in hearing what we had to say, and the principal wanted the best for the student for the remaining 40 some days of school. Seeing all the teachers explain to the student that he is smart, is scoring higher than over 80% of the students in the school and is in the top percentile of the nation, and encouraging/motivating the student sparked the student, his parents, and really made a rather uncomfortable situation a positive one. The reason this really stood out to me is because a teacher is responsible for teaching students but also encouraging them to be their best, serving as a role model to all, and making the best of a situation. It is about handling the situation with careful words and hands. Although a student and his or her actions cause a consequence, a teacher is there to make a situation better and encourage the student to finish off the school year strong.

Ms. P