Prepping for PARCC

This week throughout my placement I started filming for my edTPA and we began preparing the students for PARCC testing that is starting next week.

Preparing and filming for the edTPA is stressful. We have a lot of expectations on our end to uphold, we also want to see the students succeed and do the best they can, but pressure is obviously on when the videotape is rolling. I’ve tried getting the students as comfortable as possible with the recorder. I have kept the recorder out while warning them about it for practice leading up to the real filming for the edTPA, but regardless they are still silly sixth graders who like to seek all attention and giggles they possibly can. The students so far have are loving the projects and assignments we are completing for my edTPA unit. The type of learning and classroom assignments are different than what they have previously experienced in the class. I am pushing for a more student directed/driven unit on the 8 planets, allowing for students to create their research questions and presentations based off of lead-up discussions we have completed as a whole group. I value science, and STEM, a lot when it comes to teaching and with science a lot of what I strongly believe is a part of it is inquiry. Therefore, I am using a lot of the student driven activities (class discussions, students teaching the rest of the class, presentations, and research projects) based off of the large class discussions and collaborations we have in whole group. I have been able to see all the engagement, effort, and comprehension of the materials and can see the large significance it makes in the students learning by completing these types of assignments and projects.

In preparation for the PARCC assignment, it has overall been a lot on the students picked for my edTPA group. We are preparing them for the math and literacy PARCC tests, filming and recording in classes, and overall each section of mine is still competing the same projects and assignments- which can be a heavy work load on their end sometimes. We have had a school meeting where we had the chance to go over the PARCC booklet with the principal and other staff members to ensure the best success for the students, going over when and how students will test, how students will move around the school without distracting others, and participating in raffles for the students to win prizes at the end of the day. I really like the system of prizes at the end of the day for students who are giving their best during PARCC (i.e. staying quiet and focused during the test time). This goes under the schools PBIS system (rewarding students for following the being respectful/responsible expectations, and overall rewarding them for their hard work. Students have the chance to be entered for the raffle during each test that we will be taking over the next 3 weeks. Those prizes consist of food gift cards, staRRRs for the school store, and bulldog pride apparel. Additionally, all students who have shown excellent effort and behavior throughout all seven tests will be entered in a raffle for the chance to win a tablet. This incentive pushes students to excel on their exam and also rewards all the students who are doing a great job. I personally really like this system that the school is trying this year because testing can be a stressful time and these little pushes and reminders allow even the students who often feel they are not exceling or are always in trouble a chance to be rewarded for their good actions and behaviors.

Ms. P