Parent Teacher Conferences

All I can say is, what a night!

We also had parent teacher conferences throughout this whole week, but most of them were on Thursday night. I didn’t get back home until after 9PM. It was a great experience, though! I was amazed how well my coop interacted with the parents. I asked her if she ever got nervous because she seemed so natural. She proceeded to tell me about how her first couple of years she wore a turtleneck because her neck would get so blotchy and red because she was so nervous. After 9 years of teaching, she’s been able to move to normal shirts. She was very positive, yet honest about improvements or areas the student needed to work on. It was interesting to hear with a couple of cases that the students fight the parents when they are at home. They do not want to do homework and are very resistant to their parents trying to help them.

It was also encouraging to hear so many parents tell me how their child talks about me at home. I was honored. As a teacher, it is essential to work with the parents, be positive, encourage them, and support them in trying to be a positive influence in their child’s educational experience.