Just Say No to House Bill HR 7

On Saturday, January 21, 2017, just one day after President Trump’s inauguration approximately 470,000 gathered for the Women’s March in Washington D.C. Men, women, and children alike came together to peacefully protest for women’s rights. Amongst the issues being promoted was the right to healthcare for women, including the issue of abortion rights.

Fast-forward three days and a major step backwards for reproductive rights has occurred as the House of Representatives passed through House Bill HR 7, entitled, No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2017.

The passage of this bill would prohibit the use of federal tax dollars for abortions or health coverage that includes abortions. This bill also states that the District of Columbia would be prohibited from using local tax revenue to offer abortion services. Additionally, the bill outlaws the performance of abortions at federal health facilities or by federal employees. Furthermore, it would make the Hyde Amendment a permanent law. The Hyde Amendment prevents federal funds from being used for abortions. One important implication of the Hyde Amendment is that Medicare dollars cannot go towards abortion services.

House Bill HR 7 is incredibly destructive to our nation and, if it passes, will affect many. This bill restricts the rights of women that we have fought so hard to get. This bill also promotes health disparities, as it will have a disproportionate affect on women of color and women living in poverty. If House Bill HR 7 is signed into action it will be a major step backward for women, for reproductive rights, and for those in minority communities. We as a country need to be taking step forward; we need to be progressive, especially in the realm of social equality. In lieu of our conservative leadership we must stand firm in our agenda to promote change and equality. We must fight for basic human rights, such as the right to funding of abortion services.

I stand on the side of pro-choice, with women who exercise their reproductive right to not bear a child. I stand on the side of the 14th amendment, with the Supreme Court who ruled on Roe vs. Wade. I stand on the side of women’s rights, with those who marched on January 21st. I stand on the side of minorities, with those who live in poverty and with women of color that will be affected by this bill to the greatest extent. I stand with the law, because we as women have the right to our bodies, our reproductive system, and our health. Where do you stand?

As this bill moves to the Senate I implore you to read more on House Bill HR 7 and stand with me. I ask that you participate in the legislative process to the extent of your ability. I urge you to write to your representatives, attend peaceful protest, and stand up for women’s rights.  I promote that you have open discussion with friends, family, coworkers, classmates, etc. about this issue. But most of all I thank you for reading this post, for taking the first step in understanding this issue further.