Sam Speaks- Dancer Blog About Philip’s Week

This week with Philip has been one of the most unique dance experiences I have had yet. To begin his section of the piece, each dancer performers a part of the previous choreography. Although at that moment in the piece we are each doing something different, it creates a beautiful continuity with the previous choreographers.

Working with my fellow dancers and being given the same instructions, but projecting different variations of the choreography gives such a mature and interesting feel to the piece. With the simple instruction of “jump into each other’s arms” or “nudge one another”, we have not only created a dance, but an intriguing and powerful piece of art. The choreography of sitting on our knees, while looking side to side and moving forward and back seemed simple as an instruction, but with the right intention and connections between all of us dancers together, it is beautiful artistry that I know will capture the eye of the audience. I really enjoyed working with Philip because he tends to choreograph by feeding off of the the energy of his dancers.  His unique choreographic composition of movement was an honor to be apart of.