Homework 1: Pollan vs. Jensen

While reading these first two articles, knowing that I would need to choose one of the authors to have a drink with, I went back and forth quite a bit with my final decision. They both seem to have the same idea and logic, but in the end I concluded that I would have a drink with Michael Pollan. I like that he admitted that there was not a whole lot that an individual can do, but he also gave an idea of what to actually do about it. This is opposed to Derrick Jensen who seemed to just be telling the readers why what they might be doing isn’t helping. Jensen did have his moments though, my favorite being “Personal change doesn’t equal social change.” This makes sense, Derrick, but then how can we bring about social change? I would like to have a drink with Pollan so we could discuss our gardens our gardens/potential gardens. I love the idea of growing my own food, and it’s great that he can point out all of the benefits of doing so; not just for food, but also for exercise and entertainment to name a couple.