Prince Elizabeth

One part of the story of Elizabeth I was how she used different royal titles in different situations. She seems to have often used the title of King or Prince whenever she wanted to stress her professionalism and her authority, and to have used the titles of Queen and Princess in more casual or affectionately themed settings. She appears to have also used the title of Prince to separate herself from her cousin Mary, who was also a princess; this is discussed in the chapter of “Elizabeth as King and Queen”. I think her use of the masculine titles shows not only the part of her that, as heir to the throne, was willing to conform to the traditional role of a monarch, but also the more daring womanly side of her. I do  not know whether other queens in the past had ever called themselves by the male titles or not, but the emphasis based on how Elizabeth used titles in this book leads me to believe the other ruling women refrained from such actions. Elizabeth appears to have been a clever and daring ruler, and those two traits seem to have helped her appear to the subjects she ruled over in a more appealing way than either of the previous two queens of England.

One thought on “Prince Elizabeth

1. I too find the fact that Elizabeth refers to herself by male titles interesting. To me it actually reminds me of Hatshepsut, one of the only female pharaohs of Egypt. Hatshepsut not only had to refer to herself in many ways as male, but even had to wear a fake beard in order to project a masculine identity of a king, which seems similar to Elizabeth’s case here.