The Abbot’s “Greatness”

“The abbot’s repurchase of the manor of Mildenhall for as little as little as 1,100 marks of silver, the expulsion of the Jews from the St Edmund’s town, and the foundation of the new hospital at Babwell are all signs of his great goodness.” (pg. 41)

I found this quote rather interesting because while talking about the abbot’s “great goodness” the expulsion of the Jews is just thrown in there. The expulsion of the Jews being counted towards something truly good seems to be indicative of the times, as Jewish people have been scapegoated throughout the middle ages and a great deal of history beyond as well. Also the fact that buying a manor for cheap is good also seems somewhat strange. While it is true that property and finance were a key part of the abbot’s duties and the culture at the time, it is still very weird to hear it being said that because somebody got a great deal on piece of land they therefor must be one of the greatest people that ever lived. The hospital being built does seem to lead towards Samson being an actually good person, however the other two examples could just as easily be chalked up to boot licking or idolizing of Samson rather than anything substantially good.

2 thoughts on “The Abbot’s “Greatness”

1. I’m not sure I agree that these were examples of idolization of Samson. Leading the abbey to financial prosperity seems to be a key part of being a good abbot, seeing as the past abbot was terribly incompetent and all but drove the abbey into financial ruin. I think it’s less of an example of idolization and more a commentary on what the people in the abbey saw as being valuable traits and actions.

2. I agree the two other examples may be considered as mere idolization of Samson ;however, the way it was listed, having the first example of the purchase and then the making of the hospital being third, there is a slight indication that the purchases of the church will be for the greater good. Also, for the very low price, this to me seems like the author is a indicating this as a sign of luck or wisdom on Samson making him great under the context of being the abbot and trying to consolidate church property and spread in the name of god.