The Tain: Medb and Ailill’s Relationship

“‘let Daire himself bring me the bull and I’ll grant him a piece of the smooth plain of Ai as big as all his lands, and a chariot with thrice seven bondmaids, as well as the friendship of my own thighs.’” (pg. 6)

When Medb learns that she is short a prize bull, she sends her messengers to treat with the owner of the bull with the conditions specified in the quote. What I found so interesting about this is that she offers sexual favors to this man in order to get the bull. This is very different than the typical relationship between a queen and a king, as sleeping with other men is normally off-limits. So either this is commonplace in early Ireland and this is a reflection of the status quo for the nobility of the time or this is a commentary on Ailill. As we know, throughout the novel Ailill bends to Medb, is fairly meek, and allows her to sleep with Fergus. In this scenario I’m inclined to believe that this shows that Ailill is a weak king and husband and merely lets Medb do what she pleases with reckless abandon.