The Tain: Fer Diad’s parting words

“Hound of the great deeds, you killed me wrongly. Your guilt bleeds on me as my blood stains you” (151)

This statement occurs when Fer Diad is in the process of dying. I was intrigued by this because the statement makes it clear that the way Cu Chulainn killed him was wrong and unjust. However, it’s not like this was the first time that Cu Chulainn has broken the rules in order to achieve victory. My question is, why does the story decide to make this a special occasion? Why specifically point out the way Cu Chulainn achieved victory, when he had done things similar in previous situations?

3 thoughts on “The Tain: Fer Diad’s parting words

1. I agree with most of what has been said already. I do think, however, that Cuchulainn is not guilty of breaking the rules of fair fight. It was Cuchulainn’s turn to choose the method of fighting, and he chose to fight in a way that he could use the gae bolga. That is completely fair, or else Ferdiad would have protested at the time. The guilt that clings to Cuchulainn is the guilt of having killed a foster-brother and dear friend, and for going against and killing his own, which is why Ferdiad calls him a traitor.

2. I agree with the previous reply- I believe that this particular instance is very significant for several reasons. One of which (as stated bellow) is their personal relationship. These two men are foster brothers. No matter how one kills the other, it will take a dramatic toll on their soul. Further, Cu Cuchulain uses his best, most brutal weapon to just barely defeat his brother. These two elements, especially in combination, make this an incredibly shameful victory but also propel the idea that Cu Cuchulain can’t lose.

3. The story probably decides to make Fer Diad’s death special was due to the special connection, both men used to share. As they were former foster-brothers, it’d make sense as to why the narrative would treat it with more reverence. As for the most part: Cuchulain’s been killing nameless strangers, but now he’s just slain a dear friend of his. So, the death would be seen as traitourous, for he used under-handed tactics towards one he actually cared deeply about, not just another nameless fodder.