Share Your Story
Just as there’s no one like you, there’s no one University of Illinois experience.
Whether you’re just starting at UIUC or you’ve been here for a while, we want to hear your story. Tell us about your unique journey.
Stories will be used in promotional materials. By submitting your story, you give Student Affairs permission to use your words, name, and likeness.
“As a senior in high school, I never thought I would end up at UIUC. However, after only one campus tour, I knew that Champaign-Urbana would provide me with the tools I needed to be at the top of my field post-graduation. Being an Illini has been the most unexpected and incredible experience of my life.”
Junior Majoring in Social Work
Looking for something to do around campus or online? We’ve got you covered! Check out our calendars as well as the links and information below to learn more about the things you can see and do as you explore your journey at Illinois.
We will be adding additional information as it becomes available, so check back often!
Vet Med Open House is Online
The Annual Open House run by students at the College of Veterinary Medicine is going online this year! A fun, interactive, and informative website located at https://go.illinois.edu/VetMedOH is available through the end of 2020.
Illini Union Events
The Illini Union will start offering more safe, social-distanced in-person events for the rest of the semester. Complete details and updated information is available online or by following the @IlliniUnion social media handle.
ARC Hours of Operation: M – F 7:30am – 8pm/Sa – Su 12pm – 8pm
Programs and Facilities Open Daily
The following are programs and services open to users on a daily basis. Links are provided where appropriate for registration purposes.
Strength Equipment – our weight room is open and we have relocated some equipment to the gym to allow for more usage
Cardio Equipment – a variety of our cardio machines are available on our concourse, entrance and top level.
Indoor Track – the indoor track is available for jogging or running
Indoor Pool – The indoor pool is available for lap swim through reservation. The process is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/aquatics/lap – swimming – etiquette/
Intramurals – Intramurals is offering a variety of single player tournaments, contests, and leagues throughout the Fall semester, starting this week and going through November in a variety of both in – person and virtual formats. Our intramural calendar with registration information is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/intramural/intramurals/
Student Wellness – Our Student Wellness unit is offering a variety of programs related to health, wellness and balance. Programs include Nutrition Coaching, virtual instructional kitchen classes, Get Fresh (where you can have fresh produce provided to you along with recipes and educational resources. More information here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/student – wellness/nutrition – food/
Club Sport Practices – Campus Recreation will be working with the Club Sport organizations on campus to provide space after hours for drills, and team practice activities allowable under state guidelines.
MP Room Reservations (preapproved activities only) – Multi – purpose rooms at the ARC will be available for reservation by groups to host activities allowable under state guidelines. The reservation process is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/facilities/facility – rentals/
Climbing Wall (Bouldering only) – The Climbing Wall will be open for solo bouldering activities. Bouldering is non – secured climbing at 3 – 6 meters high with a crash pad.
Outdoor Equipment rentals – Camping equipment is available for rental from the Outdoor and Adventure Recreation center located on the concourse level of the ARC. Reservations for equipment can be made here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/climbing – adventure – rec/outdoor – equipment – rental/
Personal Training sessions – Personal training is available to provide routines which promote a healthy lifestyle. These are one on one sessions where you walk away with a program specifically designed for you. Sign up information is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/book – your – spot/
Tennis Courts – The Outdoor Tennis courts are available for drop in use at the Illini Grove and Outdoor playfields (Stadium Drive)
Campus Bike Center – The Campus Bike Center will be open to provide bike registration and sales, distribute educational information and resources regarding bicycling safety, and assistance with repairs. More information on hours and services is available here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/campus – bike – center/
Campus Recreation is offering a number of programs virtually for the convenience and safety of our users. These include:
– Weekly Workout Plans are provided as ways to keep you healthy and engaged. The list is located here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/weekly – workout – plans/
– Nutrition Coaching serves to provide our users with ways to achieve their goals through eating healthy and balanced WITHOUT being on a diet. Link here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/event/nutritional – coaching – 19f – 2 – 3 – 2 – 2/
– Virtual Group Fitness Classes link with dates here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/virtual – group – fitness – classes/
– Virtual Cooking Classes link with dates here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/virtual – cooking – classes/
– Virtual intramural competitions link with dates here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/intramural/intramurals/
In the next 2 weeks, we will be adding the following informal activities with a reservation system to maintain safety for all of our users:
– Basketball shooting
– Racquetball/Squash practice
– Table Tennis
10/14: Getting Started in Film and TV in LA: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1014
Ebert Symposium Series: https://media.illinois.edu/EbertSymposium2020
– 10/8: The Movie Industry in a Time of Change: https://media.illinois.edu/node/978
– 10/22: Documentary Film and Social Change: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1007
– 11/5: Representation in Media: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1008
– Courtyard Cafe
Noontime Performers: Every weekday at noon! Find these talented Illini on the Illini Union Facebook Livestream.
Monday – Becky Song
Tuesday – Patrick An
Wednesday – Michael Skibski
Thursday – Clint Moon
Friday – Eric Shin
– Illini Union Board
– Trivia Tuesdays: Every Tuesday at 8pm from September 1 to December 8, join virtual Trivia Tuesdays to test your knowledge and win great prizes! Recurring Zoom link: go.illinois.edu/iuboardtrivianight
– Rec Room
– Behind the Lanes virtual look.
– Illini Union virtual programming includes:
- Virtual 5k Walk-Run
- Noontime Performers
- Trivia Tuesdays
- Art Gallery Tours
- Virtual Tour behind the scenes of the Rec Room
- Social contests & activities
– Weekend Films: https://union.illinois.edu/see-and-do/events/free-weekend-films
(Weekend Films are both in-person and virtual with a link provided so you can view them from your residence.)
– Illini Union Board presents: Illinites: Each Illinites will feature an in-person Grab-And-Go Craft + Snack from 6-8pm. Afterwards, each Illinites will feature 3 virtual experiences; Cooking, Esports, and a bonus experience starting at 8pm. In-person films will also be shown in the Illini Union Ballroom, 2nd floor in the East Wing of the Union. COVID precautions will be adhered to.
Click here for complete details: https://union.illinois.edu/get-involved/illini-union-board/illinites
September 18, October 30, November 13, December 4
– Illini Union Board is hosting the following recurring events: IU Board Trivia Tuesdays (virtual, weekly), Art Gallery Reception (in-person, first Thursday of each month), Crafts and Snacks (in-person, every other Thursday).
– The Illini Union Board is hosting a conversation on activism and the 2020 election with Shereen Meraji from NPR’s Code Switch on 10/19 virtually with student conversations.
– Illini Union Board together with Campus Recreation are co-sponsoring a student-focused 5K run/walk for the week of 10/17 – 10/24.
Ideas to stay connected:
– Organize online video gaming for your floor
– Conduct virtual floor meeting and hangouts
– Prop your door open so you can chat and safely hangout with your neighbors
– Participate in student organization meetings and activities virtually
– Exercise individually outdoors or indoors using Campus Recreation’s virtual programming
– Visit Campus Recreation for individual workouts
– Learn a language free! Illinois faculty, staff, and students should visit http://go.illinois.edu/rosetta to access the Rosetta Stone database. If you have any questions or need help setting up an account, the Literatures and Languages Library staff can help! Just send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don’t find what you’re looking for, reach out!