Looking for something to do around campus? We’ve got you covered! Check out our calendars as well as the links and information below to learn more about the things you can see and do.
We will be adding additional information as it becomes available, so check back often!
Friday, September 25
FREE MOVIES: Make plans to join us for a double feature showing “Bad Boys for Life” and “Gemini Man”, plus FREE hot dog, popcorn, candy, and drink (limited quantities). We also invite you to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverage. Learn more.
Saturday, September 26
FREE CONCERT: Come on out for a free concert featuring Garrett Biggs, “Mitchell”, and DJ Bob Bass as well as FREE pizza and drink (limited quantities). We also invite you to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverage. Learn more.
ARC Hours of Operation: M – F 7:30am – 8pm/Sa – Su 12pm – 8pm
Programs and Facilities Open Daily
The following are programs and services open to users on a daily basis. Links are provided where appropriate for registration purposes.
Strength Equipment – our weight room is open and we have relocated some equipment to the gym to allow for more usage
Cardio Equipment – a variety of our cardio machines are available on our concourse, entrance and top level.
Indoor Track – the indoor track is available for jogging or running
Indoor Pool – The indoor pool is available for lap swim through reservation. The process is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/aquatics/lap – swimming – etiquette/
Intramurals – Intramurals is offering a variety of single player tournaments, contests, and leagues throughout the Fall semester, starting this week and going through November in a variety of both in – person and virtual formats. Our intramural calendar with registration information is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/intramural/intramurals/
Student Wellness – Our Student Wellness unit is offering a variety of programs related to health, wellness and balance. Programs include Nutrition Coaching, virtual instructional kitchen classes, Get Fresh (where you can have fresh produce provided to you along with recipes and educational resources. More information here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/student – wellness/nutrition – food/
Club Sport Practices – Campus Recreation will be working with the Club Sport organizations on campus to provide space after hours for drills, and team practice activities allowable under state guidelines.
MP Room Reservations (preapproved activities only) – Multi – purpose rooms at the ARC will be available for reservation by groups to host activities allowable under state guidelines. The reservation process is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/facilities/facility – rentals/
Climbing Wall (Bouldering only) – The Climbing Wall will be open for solo bouldering activities. Bouldering is non – secured climbing at 3 – 6 meters high with a crash pad.
Outdoor Equipment rentals – Camping equipment is available for rental from the Outdoor and Adventure Recreation center located on the concourse level of the ARC. Reservations for equipment can be made here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/climbing – adventure – rec/outdoor – equipment – rental/
Personal Training sessions – Personal training is available to provide routines which promote a healthy lifestyle. These are one on one sessions where you walk away with a program specifically designed for you. Sign up information is here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/book – your – spot/
Tennis Courts – The Outdoor Tennis courts are available for drop in use at the Illini Grove and Outdoor playfields (Stadium Drive)
Campus Bike Center – The Campus Bike Center will be open to provide bike registration and sales, distribute educational information and resources regarding bicycling safety, and assistance with repairs. More information on hours and services is available here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/campus – bike – center/
Campus Recreation is offering a number of programs virtually for the convenience and safety of our users. These include:
– Weekly Workout Plans are provided as ways to keep you healthy and engaged. The list is located here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/weekly – workout – plans/
– Nutrition Coaching serves to provide our users with ways to achieve their goals through eating healthy and balanced WITHOUT being on a diet. Link here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/event/nutritional – coaching – 19f – 2 – 3 – 2 – 2/
– Virtual Group Fitness Classes link with dates here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/virtual – group – fitness – classes/
– Virtual Cooking Classes link with dates here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/virtual – cooking – classes/
– Virtual intramural competitions link with dates here: https://campusrec.illinois.edu/programs/intramural/intramurals/
In the next 2 weeks, we will be adding the following informal activities with a reservation system to maintain safety for all of our users:
– Basketball shooting
– Racquetball/Squash practice
– Table Tennis
Two Media Career Night panels with media alumni: Full details: https://media.illinois.edu/student-resources/media-career-services/media-career-night
– 9/23: Crisis Communications: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1013
– 9/25: Blackness and Anti-Blackness in American Public Life Talk: co-sponsored by the College of Media’s Institute of Communications Research and the College of LAS’s Dept of Communication. Learn more: https://media.illinois.edu/icr-comm-talk
10/14: Getting Started in Film and TV in LA: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1014
Ebert Symposium Series: https://media.illinois.edu/EbertSymposium2020
– 10/8: The Movie Industry in a Time of Change: https://media.illinois.edu/node/978
– 10/22: Documentary Film and Social Change: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1007
– 11/5: Representation in Media: https://media.illinois.edu/node/1008
– Courtyard Cafe
Noontime Performers: Every weekday at noon! Find these talented Illini on the Illini Union Facebook Livestream.
Monday – Becky Song
Tuesday – Patrick An
Wednesday – Michael Skibski
Thursday – Clint Moon
Friday – Eric Shin
– Illini Union Board
– Trivia Tuesdays: Every Tuesday at 8pm from September 1 to December 8, join virtual Trivia Tuesdays to test your knowledge and win great prizes! Recurring Zoom link: go.illinois.edu/iuboardtrivianight
– Rec Room
– Behind the Lanes virtual look.
– Illini Union virtual programming includes:
- Virtual 5k Walk-Run
- Noontime Performers
- Trivia Tuesdays
- Art Gallery Tours
- Virtual Tour behind the scenes of the Rec Room
- Social contests & activities
– Weekend Films: https://union.illinois.edu/see-and-do/events/free-weekend-films
(Weekend Films are both in-person and virtual with a link provided so you can view them from your residence.)
– Illini Union Board presents: Illinites: Each Illinites will feature an in-person Grab-And-Go Craft + Snack from 6-8pm. Afterwards, each Illinites will feature 3 virtual experiences; Cooking, Esports, and a bonus experience starting at 8pm. In-person films will also be shown in the Illini Union Ballroom, 2nd floor in the East Wing of the Union. COVID precautions will be adhered to.
Click here for complete details: https://union.illinois.edu/get-involved/illini-union-board/illinites
September 18, October 30, November 13, December 4
– Illini Union Board is hosting the following recurring events: IU Board Trivia Tuesdays (virtual, weekly), Art Gallery Reception (in-person, first Thursday of each month), Crafts and Snacks (in-person, every other Thursday).
– The Illini Union Board is hosting a conversation on activism and the 2020 election with Shereen Meraji from NPR’s Code Switch on 10/19 virtually with student conversations.
– Illini Union Board together with Campus Recreation are co-sponsoring a student-focused 5K run/walk for the week of 10/17 – 10/24.
– September 18
Research Connection aims to increase networking opportunities for international graduate students and visiting scholars. This event connects graduate students and visiting scholars with faculty advisers, librarians, and campus research services. Grab some food and beverages of your choice, and join us on September 18, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm! Register Here: forms.gle/FM5EJ2AXXCo4VCss7
– September 24
Workspace Wonderings: Take a break from the rigors of your work and tell us about what has made you! Join ISSS for a time of connection and exploration. Whether you’re 6 feet apart or a world apart come together and share what makes you…you! Registration is required for this event. For more info go to: go.illinois.edu/workspacewonderings
– September 9: View the virtual premiere of Step Afrika!’s Stono on Sep 9 at 7pm. It’s free but you are asked to register. This film is based on Drumfolk, which was featured at KCPA last season and this film was co-commissioned by Krannert Center. Register at https://krannertcenter.com/events/step-afrika-stono.
– September 10 : KCPA Social Justice and Civic Practice Director, Sam Smith, will offer a follow up conversation concerning Step Afrika!’s Stono via zoom at 4:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada) with Inner Voices Social Issues Theatre and Clinical Assistant Professor in Urbana and Regional Planning, Lou Turner, about Black Liberation Movements and reflections on the Black Lives Matter Movement. Register at: https://illinois.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMtcu2uqDorG9MKDGhfhj3Hg5PaAvLI_msy
(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.)
Ideas to stay connected:
– Organize online video gaming for your floor
– Conduct virtual floor meeting and hangouts
– Prop your door open so you can chat and safely hangout with your neighbors
– Participate in student organization meetings and activities virtually
– Exercise individually outdoors or indoors using Campus Recreation’s virtual programming
– Visit Campus Recreation for individual workouts
– Learn a language free! Illinois faculty, staff, and students should visit http://go.illinois.edu/rosetta to access the Rosetta Stone database. If you have any questions or need help setting up an account, the Literatures and Languages Library staff can help! Just send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
– October 4: Open House
The Annual Open House run by students at the College of Veterinary Medicine is going online this year! A fun, interactive, and informative website located at https://go.illinois.edu/VetMedOH will launch October 4 and be available through the end of 2020.
Submit your questions in advance for current Illinois veterinary students to answer during a Facebook Live Q&A session on October 4 at 2 pm: https://www.facebook.com/events/325561818663612
– Light the Night – Bicycle Light Giveaway Event: The University of Illinois is collaborating with MTD to organize a Light the Night event on Thursday, September 24 from 4-7 pm. This is a bike light giveaway event to promote safety to bicyclists. You can learn more about at: https://calendars.illinois.edu/detail/6242/33385566
They are also seeking nearly 40-50 volunteers to handout these lights at three different locations. Volunteers can learn more sign up to volunteer at: https://calendars.illinois.edu/detail/6242/33385784.
Volunteers will be sent the Safety Plan and a Waiver form to sign by September 22.
If you don’t find what you’re looking for, reach out!