River otters as biomonitors for organochlorine pesticides, PCBs, and PBDEs in Illinois.
Carpenter SK, Mateus-Pinilla NE, Singh K, Lehner A, Satterthwaite-Phillips D, Bluett RD, Rivera NA, Novakofski JE. 2014. River otters as biomonitors for organochlorine pesticides, PCBs, and PBDEs in Illinois. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 100, 99-104 [pdf]
- Studied organohalogenated compounds (OHCs) in livers of river otters from Illinois.
- Highest mean concentration of dieldrin yet reported in North American river otters.
- Dieldrin detected in 2009–2011 otters greater than in Illinois otters 25–30 years ago.
- Greater mean concentration of polychorinated biphenyls (PCBs) detected in males.
- Research is needed on differences in OHC exposure between Illinois watersheds.