Quarantine Diary 4: Tips for a Healthy (Indoor) Lifestyle

Hello world! My name is Annabel, and I am coming to you live from quarantine in West Michigan! If you’re like me, you’re a person who can’t sit still for five seconds, craves productivity, and is fueled by an anxious energy, which is maddening unless you’re busy. We are the Leslie Knopes of the world, and I would argue that quarantine is essentially the antithesis of our entire beings. While I haven’t yet completely come to peace with the situation, in order to stave off existential dread and debilitating uncertainty, I am here to advocate for a practice that has kept me sane – proper exercise!

Exercise is vitally important for not only your physical health, but also your mental health. Of course, as a graduate assistant for the university libraries, I can point you towards numerous library guides which are full of information on various facets of health. For example, check out this guide on wellness and personal wellbeing, this guide on campus resources for health education, or this guide for mental health resources. !]. In addition, the University has provided us with a free subscription to Les Mills home workout videos! If you haven’t tried them out yet, I have tested a few of them for you, and here are my reviews:

1. LES Video still of LES MILLS GRIT #29 CardioMILLS GRIT #29: I thought I was in pretty decent shape… until I tried this HIIT workout. Let me tell you, it kicked my butt. I had to keep hitting pause so I could breathe! This definitely disrupted my elevated heart rate, but I couldn’t have made it through without some extra breaks. If you’re in an apartment, I don’t recommend this video because it is a lot of jumping around. You will definitely disturb your downstairs neighbors! However, I often find that workout videos are never hard enough. This one is an exception. It’s a great video for an intense cardio workout!

Video still from SH'BAM #36 45 min2. SH’BAM #36: This workout was similar to Zumba or any other dance-based workout you’ve tried! The workout was definitely on the easier side – it was fun, but repetitive and even a little boring at times. The music was great, and the hosts are vivacious, but in the end, I didn’t get as much of a workout as I would have liked. I did this video with my mom though, and we had a lot fun! This video is great for freestyling and it’s also great for beginners.

Video still from LES MILLS BARRE #07 30 min3. LES MILLS BARRE #07: For this workout, you only need a couple of small weights. I didn’t have any, so I improvised with jars of pasta sauce! I think this was my favorite workout of the three I attempted. It was challenging, hit all of the major muscle groups, but it was quick! I want to do this workout over and over, because I feel that I can improve each time I do it. This video also brought me back to my days in ballet class and made me a little nostalgic! I highly recommend this workout for anyone with a dance background, or anyone who wants a quick & efficient burn!

There’s a multitude of other great workout resources online too! One of my favorite places to go for free yoga instruction is doyogawithme.com – my favorite video is ‘Rise and Shine.’ I also love to run, so I’ve been hitting the trails to clear my mind. Exercise is super important, but a healthy lifestyle is made up of a lot of components. To summarize, here are my top ten tips for staying fit and healthy to survive the quarantine:

Annabel’s Top Ten Tips for a Healthy (Indoor) Lifestyle 1. Do something every day. Whether it is going on a walk or doing a full home workout, it’s imperative that you get some exercise every single day! 2. Set a timer. Sitting for prolonged periods can lead to serious health effects such as weight gain or increased blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol. I recommend standing up and walking around every 45 minutes. 3. Set a goal. Setting an intention before you start exercising will remind you why you keep at it. Big or small, goals keep you focused and motivated! 4. Get enough sleep. Get plenty of sleep. Go to bed at a regular time each day and practice good habits to get better sleep. Sleep restores both your mind and body. 5. Stay hydrated. Water is our body’s fuel. It keeps us energized, flushes out our system, and promotes other health benefits – like clear skin! 6. Meditate. Exercising has a lot of positive mental health effects, but it’s important to supplement by checking in with yourself and doing some deep breathing exercises once in a while. 7. Stay accountable. Find a friend to do workouts with, post your progress on social media, or keep track of what you’ve done by writing it down. Anything to keep you coming back! 8. Eat well. Eating and exercise go hand in hand. In fact, the more you exercise, the more your body will crave whole, healthy foods. I can’t stress the importance of fruits and veggies enough! 9. Take time for you. Working out is an opportunity to appreciate yourself and your amazing body. Take this time to be proud of yourself – you can do anything you put your mind to! 10. Get creative. There are millions of ways to fit exercise into your daily routine. Whether that is going on a daily walk, dancing in front of a mirror, or doing squats while you make dinner. Do anything and everything to stay active because it will keep you health – and sane!

Written by: Annabel

Edited by: Amy

Twitter Linkedin Digg Delicious Email Tumblr Reddit

Quarantine Diary 2: Pilates and Cake

Hey everyone! I’m writing to you from a small town in southern Illinois, just twenty minutes outside of St. Louis. Like many of you, when the governor issued the shelter in place order, I moved home with my parents to be with family during quarantine. I don’t know about the rest of you, but for me “moving out” consisted of packing bags as quickly as I could, shoving in clean comfortable clothes and whatever I thought I couldn’t live without for a week or two. I cleaned out my fridge, put my Cavalier spaniel Hattie in the car, and took off. It’s been four weeks now and our house is bustling with my parents, sister, brother, myself, Hattie, and two cats.

Cavalier spaniel, named Hattie, sitting on couch

One of my favorite things to do, especially with my mom and sister, is to bake and cook. However, not leaving the house + constant baked goods and carbo-loaded recipes + a small dose of stress/bored eating = a dangerous combination. To offset the calories we’ve been eating, we’ve been taking advantage of free yoga and Pilates on YouTube. My favorite Pilates channel on YouTube is Blogilates with Cassey Ho. She does a great job of walking you through each exercise at the beginning of the video and explaining which muscle groups you’ll be working. She has a huge library of past workouts available, and there is something for toning just about any part of your body! All I use when following along to her videos is my yoga mat, but even that is optional. The workouts are very home/apartment friendly and Cassey has even been posting workout calendars for the COVID-19 quarantine, so you can follow along with her recommended workouts, or create your own routine. Hattie is an overall great workout buddy and huge help…

Maybe some of you are experiencing the odd time warp we seem to be in where each day feels like a week and yet each day slides into the next and it’s easy to lose track. One of the best methods I’ve found to fight this is to spend some time in the sun or to break up the day by going outside. We’re lucky to be in a rural area, so we are still able to go for walks and enjoy our yard! In fact, the only one who might not be enjoying our walks is poor Hattie. She’s only two, but she is the biggest couch potato you can imagine! While I think she felt spoiled at first with everyone home, now she just wishes we would leave her alone to take her naps. I have also been going out to the trampoline to get some cardio in since I can’t go to the gym. Apparently, this is a highly entertaining part of the morning for Hattie and the cats. The cats typically spend the day bullying poor Hattie, but they call an armistice for the hour or so that I’m on the trampoline every day to sit and watch their human.

Hattie and Lyla watching Jayde jump on the trampoline from the sunroom

Hattie after her second walk for the day

After burning some calories, my mom, sister, and I love to head to the kitchen! For one of my quarantine projects I am transcribing and posting all of my grandma’s old handwritten recipes onto a blog for my aunts and cousins. We’re making as many of the recipes as we can so that I can add in little notes and pictures of the finished products. One recipe that will always hold a special place in my heart (especially around Easter) is my Grandma Ruth’s pineapple upsidedown cake. It’s sweet as can be and just makes you happy. It’s the kind of dessert where you can have just a little square and have to cut yourself a generous rectangle. My grandma makes her cake batter from scratch, but here’s a quick and simplified version using yellow cake mix. Now Grandma Ruth had a couple tricks to truly knock this recipe out of the park that you can still use with the easy cake mix version. First, toast some pecans in a small pan. You add these to the top of the cake at the same time as the cherries and pineapple. The crunch and texture that these add just takes the cake to another level. Also, if you don’t mind sacrificing some of the neat presentation, use crushed pineapple instead of the rounds. This makes the cake even more moist and ensures you get a bit of pineapple with every bite. If you have enough leftover, you should also consider using a full cup of pineapple juice rather than any water with the cake mix. Finally, use a little extra brown sugar than this recipe calls for. Don’t pat the sugar down, rather make sure it’s well blended with the butter, but leave the top “crumbly.” I hope some of you get the chance to try this and it spreads a little joy! Ours didn’t last long past Easter dinner.

pineapple upside down cake, made with pineapples, cherries, and toasted pecans

My family and I have really enjoyed exploring and preserving my grandma’s recipes, especially those that we know were passed down through generations. If you’ve ever been curious about exploring your own family’s history, consider checking out this guide from UIUC’s Main Library about how to research your genealogy. The guide includes an explanation of free resources available online as well as recommendations from UIUC’s own collections. This is an activity that the whole family can enjoy and get involved in.

That’s all for now! I’m going to get back to my 1000 piece puzzle and maybe sneak one of the last slices of pineapple upsidedown cake. Hattie says she can’t wait until she can get back to Champaign and all our friends–apparently, we’re a little too boring for her!

Hattie, exhausted, lounging on the couch

Written by: Jayde

Edited by: Lauren

April is Poetry Month!

April is National Poetry Month, and since we are all stuck inside for now, there couldn’t be a better time to dive into some verse. If you don’t happen to have any poetry books wherever you’re at, or you’re just looking to read something new, check out these five e-books available through the library.  

1. Ross Gay’s poems are exactly what we all need right now: thoughtful, playful, and full of moments that gracefully hold the joys and pains of life simultaneously. Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude is a collection on themes of loss. Cover art of poetry collection titled: Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude by Ross Gay
  2. bell hooks is an activist and writer from Kentucky whose work explores sexism and racism. Check out Appalachian Elegy, a collection of poems about her home state.cover art of Appalachian Elegy by bell hooks
  3. Jack Kerouac, best known for his novel On the Road, was also a successful poet, even inventing his own form of haiku. Readings by Jack Kerouac on the Beat Generation is a spoken word album recorded in 1959.cover art of Readings by Jack Kerouac on the Beat Generation by Jack Kerouac
  4. Sarah Blake infuses her poetry with pop culture references and insights into her own experiences in Mr. West, a portrait of Kanye West.cover art of Mr. West by Sarah Blake
  5. Nate Marshall is a poet from the South Side of Chicago. In Wild Hundreds, Marshall composes a love song to his city.cover art of Wild Hundreds by Nate Marshall

Bonus: Homopup: Queer Dog Poetry. Speaks for itself, really.cover art of Homopup by Gerry Pearlberg

To find more e-books available through the library, check out the Library Catalog. Be sure to narrow your search results by format and choose “electronic.” If you have questions about accessing these, or other, electronic resources, feel free to Ask a Librarian!

Information from poetryfoundation.org.

Written by: Izzy

Destress Fest Fall 2019

Fall break is arguably one of the best weeks of the year: you get absolutely stuffed with a delicious Thanksgiving meal, you finally get some sleep, and when you’re not eating or sleeping, there’s usually a chance to see hometown friends!

However, fall break is but a cruel tease. Just when you’ve gotten comfortable with waking up at noon, your dreams are shattered by the impending return to campus after a far too brief hiatus.

Screenshot of tweet that reads, "going to school in between thanksgiving and christmas break feels like the last lap in mario kart where the music is all fast and gets really stressfull"

Returning from fall break is worse than all other breaks because the end of the semester is so close. And we all know what that means… finals.

gif of Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence, looking up from the ground somberly as she is chosen as tribute

Finals week comes with stress, long nights, gallons of coffee, and inevitable tears.screenshot of tweet that reads, "I've already cried 5 times in the past 14 hours and I haven't even had to say goodbye to anyone yet #FinalsWeek"

But never fear, the UGL is here to help relieve finals anxiety with Destress Fest! Our amazing reading day event!

Come to the UGL to study any time between 12:00 pm and 10:00 pm on Reading Day, Thursday, December 12th, and you’ll have the opportunity to take part in lots of fun and relaxing activities during your study breaks!gif of a scene from A Night at the Roxbury, where Doug (played Chris Kattan) comforts Steve (played by Will Farrell), and says,

Here’s the full schedule:

Schedule of Destress Fest 2019 hosted by the UGL

Looking forward to seeing you during Destress Fest 2019!!

Written by Annabel

Edited by Lauren

Fall Break in Champaign-Urbana

It’s a beautiful time of year around Champaign-Urbana! If you’re lucky enough to be around the C-U for Fall Break, there are plenty of exciting events for everyone to enjoy. From participating in holiday festivities to cheering on the Illini, make sure to check out these events happening around town next week:

The Festival of Trees

Join the Junior League of Champaign-Urbana for the 2019 Festival of Trees on November 22nd-24th at the Hilton Garden Inn Champaign. Over 100 trees and wreaths will be on display, so you can get into the holiday spirit. Purchase raffle tickets and enter for a chance to win all of the vignettes on display or place a silent bid on select trees and packages. Special events include the Family Winter Ball on Friday and breakfast with Mrs. Clause and Santa on Saturday.Image result for buddy the elf gif

Holiday Card Photo Op at the Virginia Theater

The Virginia’s beautifully decorated Mezzanine Lobby is opening on Monday, November 25 for photographs this holiday season, free of charge! Bring your camera or arrange to have a professional photographer meet you at the theatre to capture a special memory for the whole family. Drop by or call the box office (217-356-9063) to reserve your 15-minute slot (space is limited).Related image

Parkland Jazz Combo Concert

The Parkland Jazz Combo will be performing Monday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. at Parkland College Theatre’s Second Stage. Led by Kevin Hart, the ensemble will perform selections from artists such as Frank Foster, Pat Metheny, Charlie Christian, Paul Desmond, and Jeff Lorber. This concert is free and open to the public.Image result for the aristocats orchestra gif

Fighting Illini Men’s Basketball

Stop by the State Farm Stadium to cheer on a promising Illini Men’s Basketball team, as they play against the Lindenwood University Lions! Join the Orange Krush on Tuesday, Nov. 26 at 7 p.m. I-L-L!

Image result for illini basketball gif

Fighting Illini Volleyball

Check out the Fighting Illini Volleyball team versus the Northwestern Wildcats before they head to the NCAA Tournament. You can watch them play in Huff Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 27 at 7:30 p.m. Go Illini!

Image result for illini volleyball gif

Pathways of Light

Take a little trip off-campus and come out to the Aikman Wildlife Adventure Park in Arcola, IL with your family to enjoy a stroll through a lovely pathway of Christmas lights. Start your Christmas shopping early by purchasing gift certificates for your family or friends, and experience one of their animal adventures. A plus: Iced sugar cookies and hot cider will be available! The Pathways of Light will be open during Fall Break on Nov. 29 and Nov. 30, starting at 5:00 p.m.Image result for christmas lights gif

Written by: Morgan

Edited by: Nicole

Halloween Gaming Event

Have you caught the smell of pumpkin spice lattes in the air? That’s right, fall is back! This year the UGL is celebrating fall with a spooky, Halloween-themed Game Night Thursday, October 17th from 7pm -10pm. Come as you are or grab a costume to join in the Halloween fun. Here are some of the Horror-themed games we’ll be featuring:

Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying Game

Join us for this chilling roleplaying adventure! One of our experienced Game Masters will guide players through a quest in a world based on the writing of the master of horror himself, H.P. Lovecraft. Solve a mystery while struggling to maintain your sanity and survive despite the horror and danger that surrounds you.
Betrayal at House on the Hill

From aliens to ghosts, to voodoo dolls and beyond, you never know what you might find in this ever-changing haunted mansion. Come explore the House on the Hill, if you dare, and bring along 2-5 of your closest friends. Try to maintain your sanity as you encounter challenges and hauntings in each new room of the house. But beware…one of you is not who they claim to be and there will be a betrayal at the House on the Hill before the night ends!
One Night: Ultimate Werewolf

In this quick and easy game each player takes on the role of a villager…some innocent, some not so innocent. The villagers race to find the identity of the werewolves hiding among them, before they sink their teeth into the whole town. Each morning the villagers wake to find the werewolves may have claimed another victim. Will you survive the night?
Other games we’ll have available throughout the night include Ghost Stories, Castle Ravenloft, and Mysterium. Feel free to bring your own haunted horror games from home, or grab one of the games from the UGL’s collection. Will you be brave enough to join us for the fright? We hope to see you there!
Written by: Jayde

50th Anniversary Student Art Gallery

New art exhibition alert! In honor of the Undergraduate Library’s 50th Anniversary, the UGL Art Gallery has two new displays to celebrate. Come check them out and celebrate with us!

For the first display, you’ll find the submissions to the Undergraduate Graphic Design Competition. Each of these unique designs captures the spirit and mission of the UGL. You won’t want to miss this impressive display of student artwork!

In the second display, you’ll explore the UGL Through the Decades. Learn about the history of the Undergraduate Library while browsing photographs of the UGL over the years. You’ll see the UGL transform from a space on the first floor of the Main Library into the thriving library we know today. The gallery takes viewers through the “Early Beginnings of the UGL,” to “1969: Undergraduate Library Established,” and concludes with the “UGL Today.” Come learn more about this unique building and how it came to be.

We hope to see you there! And be sure to follow us on social media to learn more about events celebrating the UGL’s 50th.

Thank you to the students who submitted to our graphic design competition, and to the University Archives for providing historical images of the Undergraduate Library.

Written by: Izzy

Edited by: Ryan & Lauren

Summer Fun in Champaign-Urbana

Hey Illini! How’s your summer going?

We miss seeing a full UGL, but we hope you’re enjoying your summer whether you’re relaxing, working, or studying during these extra warm months! Champaign-Urbana may have less students right now, but there’s still lots going on that we wanted to share with you.
Image of Undergraduate Library
Whether you’ve been here all summer, or if you’re coming back a little in advance of the fall semester, here are some fun events happening around Champaign-Urbana to keep you busy and entertained!

All Summer Long & Weekly Fun

Summer Quad Cinema Series
FREE – Thursdays at 9pm on the Quad
Get popcorn from the Quad Shop:
$3 large popcorn ($1.50 refill)
$1.50 small popcorn ($1 refill)
Michael Jackson eating popcorn

Market at the Square
Saturdays 7am-Noon (May-October) at the corner of Illinois & Vine St. in Urbana
Check out vendors, chef demonstrations, Art at the Market (Public Arts Program), Read at the Market (Urbana Free Library), Science on the Market (Physics at UIUC), and performances!
Market at the Square

Urbana Park District & Champaign Park District
Check their full event calendars for days, times,and locations
Events include outdoor concerts, movies, exercise classes, hikes, & more. Tina from Bob's Burgers dancing

Urbana Free Library & Champaign Public Library
Check their full event calendars for days, times, and locations
Of course we have to include fun public library events on this list! Drop by for arts & crafts, tech classes, movies, concerts, used book sales, & more.
Reading Rainbow library dance

Mark Your Calendars!

July 19-27: Champaign County Fair – $5 + extra cost for rides, events, & parking
Featuring shows, rides, performances, contests, & more
Champaign County Fair

August 3: Crystal Lake Park Art Fair – 10am-6pm
Art vendors and art displays to enjoy and/or purchase!Crystal Lake Park Art Fair. August 3, 2019Bob Ross paints, captioned

August 8: Food Truck Rally & Summer Finale (at the Champaign Public Library)
Books, live music, and food! What else could you want? Squirrel eating a taco

August 9-10: Champaign-Urbana Days – 6pm-9pm on Friday, 11am-8pm on Saturday
Activities & Entertainment in Douglass ParkChampaign-Urbana Days, August 9-10 at Douglass Park, Activity and Entertainment schedule

August 10: Fan Con (at the Urbana Free Library) – 11am-4pm
Celebrate comics, fandom, & pop culture with workshops, demos, trivia, & contests

August 16-17: Taste of Champaign-Urbana – 5pm-11pm on Friday, 11am-11pm on Saturday
Check out food & art vendors in Downtown Champaign!
FREE admission; Tickets for food, beverages, & activities tickets cost $5 for 5

August 17: Pie Run 2019 – 10:30am-1:30pm (participant check-in at 9:30am)
Run or Walk 3.14 miles, then celebrate with some pie!
$20-30 fee – register by 7/29 to get a t-shirt

August 23-24: Urbana Sweetcorn Festival – 5pm-Midnight on Friday, 11am-Midnight on Saturday
CORN! Celebrate the most Midwestern vegetable with entertainment & food vendors.
Urbana Sweetcorn Festival
Cat eating corn

And of course…

August 26: FIRST DAY OF FALL SEMESTER!
Keep an eye on our social media (Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter) for start of term shenanigans and back-to-school events!

Spring DeStress Fest!!

It’s that time of the semester again! If preparing for finals or working on papers and group projects has you overwhelmed, the UGL can help…because it’s time for the Spring semester’s DeStress Fest, and we dare say that this will be the best one yet! Read on to learn more about all of the destressing activities you can participate in this Reading Day, Thursday May 2nd from 12-10pm. Once you spend the day with us you’ll feel like a new person with the power to take on any obstacle that the end of the semester throws your way.

""

DeStress Fest Flyer

ProCRAFTination will take place throughout the entire day in the New Books Area. Three popular crafts will be returning from previous DeStress Fests and monthly ProCRAFTination nights. Come decorate a pet rock, make a button using our very own button maker, or color in a picture of Uggles and add it to our collage. Board games will also be offered all day in front of the Student Art Gallery, with a range of fun games you can play with us or bring your friends to.

As for our other events, we’re excited to announce a few activities that we’ve never offered at DeStress Fest before. From 12-5 p.m., come play chalk games or hula hoop with us outside the UGL entrance while we listen to some jams. From 3-5 p.m., you can participate in our Instagram-style Photo Booth in the Video Production Studio. Come take a solo or group pic with our DeStress Fest props and frames! For our final special event of the day, we’ll be hosting Jackbox Games in room 289 using our digital monitors and PS4. We’re excited to introduce and welcome back students to these different UGL spaces while having tons of fun!

Lastly, if you weren’t having enough fun already, everyone who participates in DeStress Fest will get a DeStress Fest Reward Card. Participate in at least three events and get your choice of some yummy candy (who doesn’t need a snack break while studying?).

""

The DeStress Fest Reward Card

We can’t wait to spend the day with you and help you destress before finals. Also, there may just be a surprise at 8 p.m. in the UGL before DeStress Fest ends.

Written by Stephen Margelony-Lajoie,

Edited by Zander

UGL’s 50th Anniversary Design Competition – Winners Announced!

In February, we posted a blog announcing an exciting opportunity for undergraduate students: the kickoff of a graphic design competition in celebration of the UGL’s 50th Anniversary! The competition guidelines asked undergraduate artists to create a unique design for the UGL@50 celebration which embodied an expression of the University of Illinois undergraduate student body.  After much time and deliberation, the results are in, the competition has come to a close, and winners have been chosen!

Judges looked for clarity, creative flare, and relevant representations of the UGL in the designs. Among many amazing entries, only three designers were awarded top rankings and prizes. Without further ado, we are excited to announce the winners of the UGL’s 50th Anniversary Design Competition:

In first place, Taylor Chism!

Taylor will win $100 and her design will be featured at the UGL@50 celebration this fall! Her design will also be printed on merchandise, so look for this design on t-shirts and mugs in the future. Great job, Taylor!

This is an image of the winning design, featuring corn, technology, and books.

1st place – “UGL”

Judges loved the incorporation of the past, present and future theme and multiple easter eggs, including the iconic corn from the Morrow plots, use of technology, and prevalence of books across all time periods.

In second place, Alexis Vasquez!

Alexis has won $50 and the honor of second place for her awesome design. Fantastic, Alexis!

This logo highlights the 50 years that the UGL has been opened.

2nd place – “50”

The clean lines and clear design of this entry made it a visually strong and appealing entry in the contest.

In third place, Sabas Padilla!

Sabas has won $25 for his third-place ranking. Congratulations, Sabas!

This image highlights the shape of the UGL

3rd place – “50 Years of UGL”

Corn made another appearance in this design, as well as excellent incorporation of the underground setting.

Thanks again to all of the applicants of the competition! Come and see all of the design submissions in the UGL Student Art Gallery this fall – all designs will be exhibited during the Fall 2019 semester.

For information about how to showcase your artwork at the UGL, contact undergrad@library.illinois.edu

Written by Annabel

Edited by Lauren