For Fall 2020, we are looking for participants who speak Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Spanish, Russian!
(updated Sept. 3, 2020; check back frequently for updates!)
Heritage speakers, or learners of Chinese
- be a heritage speaker (known as “ABCs”) who heard Mandarin since birth at home, but grew up in the US/Canada, and native(like) in English, or
- be an English native speaker who learned Mandarin after middle school
- English native speakers who learned Mandarin or Mandarin heritage speakers: 40-60 minutes for $10 or 120-150 minutes for $30 (or course credits)
- Contact: Chung-yu Chen <email@example.com> or sign up at https://chung-yu-chen.youcanbook.me/ (English speakers)
Native speakers of English, Mandarin Chinese, and Korean
Requirement: a native speaker of English, Mandarin Chinese, and Korean
Duration/Compensation: 60 minutes for English native speakers ($10 or course credit); 120 minutes for native speakers of Mandarin or Korean ($20 or course credit)
Learners/Heritage Speakers of Russian
- Requirements: participants who can speak and write in Russian, but whose dominant language is English (or other languages)
- Duration/Compensation: 45 minutes-1 hour for $15/extra credit for Russian courses. No need to come to the lab, just email to get the experiment link.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish Heritage Speakers
- Be a heritage speaker of Spanish who grew up in the US in a Spanish-speaking household.
- Has taken a Spanish class at some point (currently or in the past, high school included).
- 5 minute background questionnaire (which can be done from any computer).
- 5-10 minute pretest (which can be done from any computer).
- (Possibly) a thirty-minute in-lab session at the Foreign Language Building.
Palestinian Arabic (online study)
- Group 1: Grew up in the U.S. and spoke Palestinian Arabic at home
- Group 2: Grew up in Palestine speaking Palestinian Arabic
For information on duration and compensation, please see the following link: https://mshakkal.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Study+flyer.pdf
Other UIUC labs that recruit participants for language studies
UIUC Electrophysiology and Language Processing Lab (sign-up page)
Educational Psychology Psycholinguistics Lab (sign-up page): Currently seeking Chinese native speakers for two course credits
Illinois Phonetics & Phonology Lab (G90, FLB): for example, they are looking for Spanish native speakers
Please email <email@example.com> to have your SLAB-based studies posted here.