April Showers Bring Math Flowers!

Spring is here!! This meant that all the snowmen and wintery decorations had to be taken down in the classroom. In order to spice up the room, my students created these cute projects that turned out amazing!

Project #1 – Umbrella People (Who Am I?)

So, this project was a combination of writing and art. To begin, the students decorated a little umbrella person that we had already pre-made. After decorating, we placed a picture of each child in the umbrella and then laminated them. Next, I read the students an animal book in which we were given clues and the students had to guess the animal. We then took this idea and had the students write clues about themselves, so someone could guess who the umbrella belonged to. The students had so much fun making these and they turned out great!! Here are a few examples:

Who Am I - #3 Who Am I - #2 Who Am I - #1Project # 2 – Math Flowers

The second project was a combination of math and art. We gave the students a paper flower, a stem, two leaves, and a pot. The students had to choose a number from 4 – 20 and place it in the middle of the flower. They then had to demonstrate multiple ways to represent that number on the petals of the flower. Once they had completed this step, they got to create and decorate their very own “math flower”. I think they turned out great! Here are a few examples:

Math Flower - #2 Math Flower - #1The kindergarteners love doing art projects, but there had to be an educational component to the art projects, so this is how math and writing turned into art! Together, these two projects make the room look wonderful and the kids cannot stop looking at them!!

Miss H.