Student Teaching Week 2

This week marks my second week in full takeover. So far, things have been going well. This week is off to a great start, and I feel a lot more confident and in control compared to last week. I am learning to celebrate the little victories like managing a smooth transition and seeing the excitement of a student who finally passed the multiplication fact test. One of the biggest things I’ve had to learn this year regarding management has been that I can’t always be afraid to be firm with my students. Earlier on in my education and experiences in my placements, I haven’t always managed classrooms effectively, because I’ve had an unrealistic idea of being the nice happy teacher all the time. In reality, I am a lot happier and nicer if I am firm with my expectations and follow through with consequences in the first place, so it never has to get to a point where I really need to come down on my students. Learning how important it is to handle management issues before they become a big deal has played such an important role in┬árefining my management skills. I’ve learned that, even when it seems like something isn’t a big deal or calling something out would be nit-picky, it can have a big impact on how smoothly (or roughly) everything else goes when you pay attention to the small details. And, in reality, calling a student out for not finishing their work and making them sit with me during recess until they do has never prevented them from giving me a hug at the end of the day as they walk out the door. The level of trust and mutual respect that I have been able to establish with the students in my current class has been largely due to this realization and the changes in my management style it has created.