#TwitterUse

Twitter

When coming to college I never expected there to be such a stressor on the use of Twitter. Contrary to what I thought, Twitter isn’t a dying social media platform, but rather it is a changing one. I probably should have expected to use it more considering the fact that I am in the College of Media, but it wasn’t too popular back home. Now, however, several of my classes emphasize the fact that all of us should be on Twitter for, what seems to be two main reasons, news sources and networking.

After using Twitter more often, I have realized that it is a great news source. The amount of content and stories you can find is extremely vast, and while the news provided may not be the most detailed right off the bat, it is short and sweet. It is a fast and easy way to hear of all the current news, and if you are intrigued to learn more, typically, there is a link to a longer story. Also, there are all types of news outlets for all types of special interests. If you desire to have all the latest hard-hitting news about soil production, it is most likely only a follow away.

The second great aspect of Twitter is its networking ability. A major amount of businesses are using Twitter to connect with customers, competition, and the general public. Twitter is a fast and efficient way to get an idea and product out there. Also being a student in media, it has already proven itself to be a helpful tool in connecting with other businesses. Tweeting twice a week in class has already gained me 20 or so followers, which include news networks, anchors, sports blogs and more. I have found myself retweeted, favorited, and even engaged in “Twitter exchanges” with them. Twitter throughout my four weeks here has already proven to be a great networking tool that i’ll for sure use in the future.

Twitter has grown into much more than just a sharing site, and today we see it being used mainly for business purposes. Getting a brand out over Twitter and connecting with followers is simple and the word limit keeps it short and sweet. The news side of Twitter is very versatile, and it delivers fast, simple information. I don’t necessarily think Twitter is the social media outlet of the future, but I do believe that it will continue to keep doing the job it does today for years to come.