The Therevid PEET team regularly attended meetings of the Entomological Society of America, the Entomological Collections Network, the NSF PEET meetings (I-IV; V, which we will host and is planned for Urbana, IL in 2004), the International Congress of Entomology, the International Congress of Dipterology, the North American Dipterists Society, the Taxonomic Databases Working Group, and the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators workshops. Periodic group meetings of the Therevid PEET team bring together colleagues from North Carolina State University, Australia, the Schlinger Foundation, and the Systematic Entomology Lab based at the Smithsonian.
Entomological Collections Network Meetings
- Entomological Collections Network Meeting – Louisville, Kentucky, 6-8 December 1996. Gail Kampmeier presented “Specimen level databases in FileMaker Pro”, co-author Michael E. Irwin
- 1999 Entomological Collections Network meeting, Athens, GA – 10-12 December
Entomological Society of America Meetings
- Entomological Society of America, Eastern Branch Meeting – Williamsburg, Virginia, 27 February 1996. Jennifer E. Fairman & F. Christian Thompson presented “Disseminating Biosystematic Information on the World Wide Web”
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting – North American Dipterists Society, Louisville, KY, 9 December 1996
- Michael E. Irwin, moderator for North American Dipterists Society meeting
- Michael E. Irwin presented paper entitled “Spermathecae and associated tissues of the female terminalia hold promise for constructing a higher-level classification of the Therevidae (Diptera: Brachycera)”
- Mark Metz present paper entitled “Differential Variation of Body and Genitalia Size in a Species of Ozodiceromyia nr. nanella (Cole) (Diptera: Therevidae)
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting – Louisville, KY, 11 December 1996. F. Chris Thompson & Jennifer Fairman presented “Electronic publishing: Delivering the goods to the public” in the Section A Symposium: Computer and Software Tools for Improving and Speeding Biodiversity Studies
- 1999 Entomological Society of America national meeting, Atlanta, GA – 12-15 December
FileMaker Pro™ Developers’ Conference
4th FileMaker Pro™ Developers’ Conference, San Diego, CA, August 24-27, 1999
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators Workshops
- 2000 Pen, Pencil, Stylus, Mouse: the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators summer workshop on focusing on transitions from traditional to digital media was attended by Jill Marie Mullett from 11-16 June at Beaver College, Glenside, PA.
- Computerized Rendering of Scientific Illustrations – PowerPoint presentation by J. Marie Mullett at Guild of Natural Science Illustrators’ meeting in Bar Harbor, Maine, August 2001
International Congress of Dipterology
- IVth International Diptera Congress, Oxford, England – 6-11 September 1998 – list of abstracts published by therevid PEET participants
- 5th International Congress of Dipterology, Brisbane, Australia, 30 Sept-5 October 2002.
National Science Foundation PEET Meetings
- Year 1 Meeting of the NSF PEET grant “Towards a World Monograph of the Therevidae – Urbana, Illinois, 18-19 July 1996.
- National Science Foundation PEET Workshop – Lawrence, Kansas, 11-14 September 1996. Gail Kampmeier presented “Data Capture & Management for Specimens: Case of the Therevidae (Diptera)”, co-author Michael E. Irwin
- Year 2 Meeting of the NSF PEET grant “Towards a World Monograph of the Therevidae– Urbana, Illinois, 22-23 September 1997.
- 2nd NSF PEET Meeting at Woods Hole, MA – 22-25 March 1998.
- Year 3 Therevid PEET meeting, Urbana, IL – 26-29 August 1998.
- 2000 PEET III meeting “The Monographic Process“(Official link), Smithsonian Institution, 24-29 March; all graduate students, 2 P.I.’s, 2 collaborators, and scientific illustrator on the therevid PEET project participated in this meeting.
- 2002 PEET IV meeting “Expanding PEET to the World and to the Tree of Life”, University of California – Berkeley, 1 P.I., 1 collaborator, 2 graduate students, and scientific illustrator on the therevid PEET project participated in this meeting. (Download powerpoint files)
- David Yeates presented “The Convention on Biological Diversity, GTI and GBIF”
- Gail Kampmeier presented “ITIS – Inegrated Taxonomic Information System”
- Chris Lambkin presented “Problem Characters – Missing data Inapplicable states Binary recoding”, she also taught the workshop “Incongruence Workshop”
- J. Marie Mullett taught the workshop “Illustration 2: Computer Assisted Drawing Techniques”
North American Dipterists Society Meeting
1997 Dipterists Informal Conference and Meeting of the North American Dipterists Society – Brian Wiegmann, organizer, December 1997.
Smithsonian Institute Meetings
150th Birthday Party of the Smithsonian Institution on the Mall, Washington, DC 10-11 August 1996. Jennifer E. Fairman & F. Christian Thompson made the WWW version available to “Disseminating Biosystematic Information on the World Wide Web”
Taxonomic Databases Working Group Meetings
- Taxonomic Databases Working Group Meeting – Toronto, Canada, 12-14 October 1996. Gail Kampmeier presented “Capturing insect specimen data in FileMaker Pro 3.0: a case study with the Therevidae (Diptera)”, co-author Michael E. Irwin
- Taxonomic Databases Working Group meeting, Reading, England – 12-15 September 1998 – Metadata and Interoperability in Biodiversity Data Systems
- 1999 Taxonomic Databases Working Group meeting, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA – 29-31 October
University of California – Davis, invited seminar, 11 April 1996. Michael E. Irwin presented “Dune revisited: exploring the life and times of real sandworms”