Come Out, Come Out, Where Ever You Are

Come Out, Come Out, Where Ever You Are

John Bossy’s, Under the Molehill, illuminated for me, multiple facets about Elizabeth’s reign, which previously I had not known. The first being, as the readings would have it, appears that Queen Elizabeth, felt and acted, as if she was always under scrutiny or attack. In other words, with Mary of Scotland, a Catholic, and a potential, and legitimate succession to the thrown of England, this caused Elizabeth to feel some type of way.

Elizabeth then, understandably, was constantly on the defense; given Spain and France, and the perceived bond with Mary of Scotland, could have the potential prowess, to launch tactical operations against Elizabeth’s realm. This claim is corroborated in Bossy’s book, Under the Molehill, when Bossy displays the written letters in chapter 3 of his book.

Now, the portrayal of Queen Elizabeth in Under the Molehill, is very interesting, because it portrays Queen Elizabeth as an active participant in her monarch, and not just a passive observer. Elizabeth set up spy’s from England to travel into Spain, France, and Scotland, and gain further intelligence, all the while, striving to snuff out any moles that were under her nose.

In closing, I am quite convinced, through Bossy’s argument, that Laurent Feron was the mole. To my mind, the documents provided, illustrate for me, Feron’s ability to travel across continents, because he did and was actively engaged in correspondence.

The second point, for me as to why I think Feron, was the mole, was because “he was familiar with Elizabeth’s hand writing.” In other words, if Feron was on the stand in the court of England, he would have a lot of explaining to do, regarding his motives, in his actions, which are located in the documents of chapter 3.

Lastly, I enjoyed Bossy’s narrative, as it has provided me with a new outlook on Elizabeth’s reign. That is to say, Elizabeth was not a passive observer in her monarchy, rather, Elizabeth actively engaged her subjects in all places of her perceived realm, from France to Spain, ultimately capturing Mary of Scotland, and warranting her to death.