This list of recent works and talks contributes to our knowledge of refugees and asylum seekers experiences in public and academic libraries.
Community building, multiculturalism and the suburban public library by Rajeswari Chelliah
Library services for immigrants and refugees: actions and principles from a global perspective by Jack Hang-tat Leong
Working with Immigrant and Refugee Populations: Issues and Hmong Case Study by Margaret Allen, Suzanne Matthew, and Mary Jo Boland
With open arms – The library service run by the Bucherhallen Hamburg for refugees by Anne Barckow
Access, Opportunity and Connections: Leveraging the Powerful Brand of Public Libraries to Support Migrant, Global Populations – The Toronto Public Library’s Support for Syrian Refugees by Vickery Bowles, Elizabeth Glass, and Elsa Ngan
Empowering Refugees – a team of interdisciplinary researchers seeking to understand people’s information worlds and how technology may be used to improve lives and create futures.
- Fisher, Karen. Fisher works with Syrian youth to increase educational opportunity, livelihoods and social connectedness at the UNHCR Za’atari Refugee Camp in Jordan. Parallel fieldwork focuses on Arab refugees in Europe, understanding their information behavior and the economic impacts of migration.
Conferences and Presentations
From IFLA 2016 Conference: Session 103 – A Sanctuary in Times of Need – The Public Library Response – Public Libraries with Library Services to Multicultural Populations and Columbus Metropolitan Library:
- BARKOUKI, Nisrin Maktabi Finding rest in your mother language
- BOWLES, Vickery and GLASS, Elizabeth and NGAN, Elsa Access, Opportunity and Connections: Leveraging the Powerful Brand of Public Libraries to support migrant, global populations – The Toronto Public Library’s Support for Syrian Refugees
- FLAHERTY, Mary Grace Here, there and everywhere: Disasters and public libraries
- BARCKOW, Anne With open arms – The library service run by the Bücherhallen Hamburg for refugees
- NILSSON, Torbjörn Malmö libraries for refugees
- MORTAIN, Lola Welcoming migrants in a local library in Paris
“From refugee to citizen-integration: Policies and actions of cultural Institutions,” 2017 MCULTP Satellite Conference, State Library Berlin, August 16-17, 2017.