Hello Pre-Law Students! Don’t forget tomorrow‘s PLAS “Negotiating Scholarships Workshop!” Also — at least two summer pre-law programs have application deadlines of THIS FRIDAY, MARCH 1. Scroll down for info on these items as well as other opportunities!
Our next event, “Negotiating Scholarships Workshop” is TOMORROW, Tuesday February 26! The event will be held at 1002 Lincoln Hall starting at 6PM.
- Law school financial aid is very different from the undergrad aid process. Join us as we host Ann Perry, Associate Dean for Admissions at the University of Chicago Law School, and Rebecca Ray, Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid at the University of Illinois College of Law.
The deans will share their expertise on law school financial aid and scholarships, including:
- Understanding your financial aid offer;
- How to go about requesting reconsideration of your scholarship package;
- What elements are effective for increasing aid offers;
- Tips and suggestions for respectful and effective collaborations with financial aid staff.
Participants will have the opportunity to ask these experts any and all law school admissions and financial aid questions. This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in law school to understand the process of admission and awarding financial aid to law school applicants.
Pre-Law Club Event: UIUC Law School Student Panel
Wednesday, February 27th in Greg Hall Room 223 at 5 PM. Join the Pre-Law Club and hear from current law students about some of their experiences applying to and attending law school. This is a great event if you are planning to apply to law school next year or if you just want to know more about what law school is really like.
Summer PLUS programs. We posted a spreadsheet full of pre-law undergraduate summer programs over on our Compass page! For example:
- Chicago-Kent PLUS program. Applications due THIS FRIDAY, March 1.
- University of Wisconsin PLUS program. Applications due April 12.
- Indiana ICLEO Summer Institute. Applications due THIS FRIDAY, March 1.
- Saint Louis University School of Law PLUS program. Application priority deadline March 31; regular deadline April 14.
Did you know that you can get a scholarship for working at an unpaid internship this summer? Apply for the Fred S. Bailey scholarship here, which provides a $1000 stipend for part-time internships and a $2500 stipend for full-time summer internships. Applications due April 8.
And check out the PLAS Facebook page for NEW internship opportunities, summer programs and more!
University of Illinois’ Office for Student Conflict and Resolution Subcommittee Applications Now Open!
The University of Illinois’ Office for Student Conflict and Resolution has opened up their applications for their two subcommittees: the Subcommittee on Student Conduct and the Subcommittee on Sexual Misconduct. Student applicants must be:
- Enrolled full-time at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- At least two full semesters from graduation; and
- In good academic standing with at least a 2.5 grade point average.
It is encouraged that students have Friday afternoon availability for the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters. For more information and to apply, visit their website here.
dgs summer peer advisor – information session tomorrow, february 26, 9-10am, 514 iub!
The Division of General Studies (DGS) is seeking undergraduate student leaders, who are interested in being a positive influence on the DGS campus community, to assist with our New Student Registration program.
DGS is the starting point for the University of Illinois students who wish to explore their options before declaring a major. We also serve students in transition between colleges or majors. The DGS student body is approximately 3,000 students. The summer peer advisors will work closely with DGS
advisors and administrators to gain necessary knowledge to assist incoming freshman in planning for their first semester of college.
DGS Summer Peer Advisors will:
• Learn about the academic advising profession by being an integral part of New Student Registration.
• Collaborate with DGS academic advisors, administrators, and other campus partners
• Serve as a point person for roughly 1,700 new students
• Facilitate morning small group meetings for DGS students during New Student Registration.
• Assist new students with registration of courses for the fall semester
Candidates must be available for full day training May 13-16, 2019. Peer advisors will be responsible for working approximately 25 hours per week from May 28-July 2.
The pay for this position is $10 per hour. Required qualifications:
• Strong communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well with others
• Knowledge of the Course Explorer website
• Knowledge of UI Integrate Self Service
• Successfully pass a background check
• Minimum GPA of 2.0 or above
• Former DGS student
• Familiarity of ICT process
• Knowledge of Illinois general education requirements
• Junior or Senior class standing for Fall 2018
• Demonstrated leadership experience
• GPA of 2.5 or above
• Attend a peer advisor informational session
Application: Email a cover letter, resume and three references to Jessica Arnold, firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on March 25, 2019. Applications received after 5pm will not be considered.
Interested Candidates should attend an informational session to learn more about the program and this position. It is not required to apply but encouraged.
• February 26: 9-10am in IUB 514
• March 5: 3-4pm in IUB 514
Global Careers: Germany – Friday, March 1, 2-3:30pm, Career Center Conference Room 143
Are you interested in the job market of Germany that is the most friendly to international job seekers out of the EU countries? Professionals and alumni who are working in Germany are virtually invited.
Resume/Cover Letter/Linked In Reviews
- Feb. 25, 2-4:30 pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm Ikenberry Commons
- Feb. 26, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Feb. 27, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center, 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Feb. 28, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center
- March 1, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center
Career Fairs. Mark your calendars for spring career fairs, which are open to all Illinois students and present both job and internship opportunities. Find these and other fair opportunities .
- Illini Career & Internship Fair–April 11, 1-5pm, ARC. This career fair is open to all disciplines and is designed to serve as a “just-in-time” fair for students that have yet to secure a summer internship or full-time job after graduation. Visit their website here.
Go to the Career Center website to find other programs!