GRE v. LSAT for Law School Admissions: TODAY, October 15, 4-5pm, 1002 Lincoln Hall
A hot topic in legal education is the recent decision by several law schools to accept a GRE or LSAT score. What should prospective law students know about the GRE versus the LSAT? Join us as Ms. Jennifer Kott, Director of Admissions at the University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, shares details about how her office uses the GRE in the law school admission process. This session will cover:
- Why the GRE is now being accepted by law schools
- How the GRE differs from the LSAT
- How law school admissions staff evaluate GRE scores versus LSAT scores
- Advice on how to decide which exam to take; and
- Communicating with law school admissions offices.
Click here for more information on the University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law.
Build Your Law School Application Plan: Part of the Applying to Law School Webinar Series – THIS FRIDAY, October 19, 2-3pm
This is part of our Applying to Law School webinar series for Illinois students and alumni.
During this webinar, we will discuss:
- How to create a law school application strategy
- Building a list of realistic and dream law schools
- Assessing your priorities in a legal education
- Research strategies for finding law schools that are a good fit
- Budgeting for the application process
- Creating an effective timeline to maximize admission and scholarship results
Bring your questions!
Register for this webinar by TOMORROW, October 16. Webinar link and handouts will be sent to registrants before the session.
Pre-Law 101 – Next Monday, October 22, 4-5pm, 514 IUB
This workshop is designed for incoming students who are new to pre-law or are interested in learning more about it. We will cover: What it means to be pre-law at Illinois, course selection, majors, and extracurriculars, building a pre-law resume, and what law schools are really looking for. We will outline a four year plan to maximize your undergraduate experiences in order to make a great law school candidate. We’ll also take any questions about law school and legal careers. Click here to register for this event.
Each Pre-Law 101 session is the same, so pick the one that best suits your schedule. Incoming students should attend a Pre-Law 101 prior to setting up an individual pre-law advising appointment. Registration will be open until October 19 or until the session is full. Go here to register.
Upcoming: Midwest VIRTUAL Law Fair on November 14! Were you unable to attend our Law School Fair? Over 25 Midwest law schools will be available to chat online with you about the admissions process, their schools, scholarships, journals, etc. This event is FREE and participants don’t need to travel! Click here for more information and to register.
Career Center Events—Click here to visit the Career Center’s website for more information or to register for these sessions.
- Finding and Applying to Federal Government Jobs — Oct. 15, 4-5pm TCC Room 143
- Graduate and Professional School Fair — Oct. 17, 11am-4pm, Illini Union A, B, C and Pine Lounge
- International Career Festival — Oct. 20, 1-5:30pm, SDRP, 2nd Floor
- Resume/Cover Letter/Linked In Reviews
- Oct.15 , 2-4:30 pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm Ikenberry Commons
- Oct. 16, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Oct. 17, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center, 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Oct. 18, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center
- Oct. 19, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center
- Oct. 21, 5-7:30pm, Ikenberry Commons
Law School Open Houses
Some fall law school open house opportunities, including one this past weekend at Chicago-Kent, have already passed. Make sure you check the websites of your selected schools for these very helpful events.
- University of Chicago: Monday, October 29, from 1-5pm or Monday, November 19 (NOTE: That’s during Fall Break!), from 1-5pm. Click here for more details.
- Chicago-Kent: Saturday, November 10, 9:00am-12:30pm. Click here for more details.
- DePaul University: Saturday, November 10 – 10:00 am-1:00 pm. Click here for more details.
- University of Illinois: You can schedule a visit, attend a class, and meet with faculty, students, and senior administrators to discover all that Illinois Law has to offer. If you are on campus, now is a great time to visit! Click here for more details.
- John Marshall: Open House Saturday, November 3, 9am-12pm. Click here for more details.
- Loyola-Chicago: Information Sessions are offered TODAY Monday, October 15 at 11:15 am; Monday, November 19 (Note: That’s during Fall Break!) at 11:15 am; or Friday, November 30 at 12:15 pm. Click here fore more details.
- Northern Illinois University: NIU Law offers Information Sessions at both their DeKalb location (12:00 pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) and in the Chicago Loop (on Tuesdays at 11:00 am). Click here for more details.
- They are also hosting a November Open House: Admissions Strategies on Saturday, November 10. Click here for more details.
- Northwestern University: Virtual tour available. In addition, student guided tours are offered Mondays and Fridays at 12:00 pm. In addition, class visits can be scheduled while classes are in session. Click here for more details.
- Southern Illinois University: Visits can be scheduled Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Click here to schedule a visit. There are opportunities to sit in on classes throughout the fall.
For more information about upcoming Open House Days and how to prepare for these visits, go here to our blog post from October 3.
Scholarships and Other Campus Opportunities
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship
Campus Deadline: November 26, 2018
The Goldwater is for juniors or exceptional sophomores who are current U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or resident aliens. The Goldwater awards one- or two-year $7,500 awards to students who demonstrate strong evidence of contributing to the technological advances of the U.S. Applicants should be committed to pursuing a Ph.D in the research fields of mathematics, sciences, or engineering.
Goldwater Information Session: Oct. 18, 3:30-4:30pm, 514 IUB
Goldwater Scholarship Workshop: Oct. 19, 3:00-4:00pm, 514 IUB
Interested in other scholarships? PLAS has collected information on over 200 scholarships–for both undergrads and incoming law students–on our Scholarships Spreadsheet over on our Pre-Law Compass page. It’s a wide variety of scholarships based on everything from being left-handed to making a video to tweeting, and deadlines vary, so check it out!