Once the Law School Fair is over on Wednesday, you should begin wrapping up your law school applications and registering for open houses and touring schools. Listed below are the open houses or tour opportunities for schools in Illinois.
Open House/Tour Info for Illinois Law Schools 2017-2018
Some schools schedule formal open houses and others require you to choose a date for a visit. Open houses are a great opportunity to visit the campus, sit in on the class, see what the students and professors are like, and a great opportunity to answer all your questions. Here are some options for visits and open houses for Illinois schools:
- University of Chicago: Friday, October 27, 2017, from 1-5pm or Monday, November 20, 2017, from 9:15am-1pm https://www.law.uchicago.edu/visit/open-houses
- Chicago-Kent: October Admissions Workshop Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. https://www.kentlaw.iit.edu/prospective-students/jd-program-admissions/visit-campus/events/october-workshop
- DePaul University: Saturday, November 18 – 10:00 AM https://law.depaul.edu/admission/visit/Pages/open-house.aspx
- University of Illinois: Contact us today to schedule a visit, attend a class, and meet with faculty, students, and senior administrators to discover all that Illinois Law has to offer. If you are on campus, now is a great time to visit!
- John Marshall: Saturday October 28 http://www.jmls.edu/admission/jd/visiting.php
- Loyola-Chicago: Contact Loyola Chicago here to schedule a visit.
- Northern Illinois University: Register for a small-group information session and tour. Complete their online form or contact them at (815) 753-8595 to make an appointment to attend one of these sessions. http://law.niu.edu/law/admission/visit-request-form.shtml
- Northwestern University: Virtual tour available. In addition, student guided tours are offered Mondays and Fridays at Noon. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/tour/
- Southern Illinois University: Click here to schedule a visit. There are opportunities to sit in on classes throughout the fall.
Please check our Compass page for more information if you are in the process of applying. The information is located in Compass under the “Applying to Law School Folder.”
3 Things To Do Before a Law School Visit or Open House
Once you decide to attend a law school open house or tour, here are a few things you should do.
- REGISTER! Make you are following the school’s directions and reserve a spot for the open house or tour.
- Dress professionally for the event. Likely the open houses will have a business casual dress code. Tours may be more casual attire, but check with the school and see what they encourage prospective students to wear. You want to make a good first impression!
- Read the website and be familiar with the time, date, where to park, and what to bring to the event. Write down any questions you have so you can ask them on the tour or during the visit.
Also, research schools that you are considering out of state. Most schools offer open houses throughout the year and regular tours. Make use of the week off for Thanksgiving break and the long winter break for farther distance trips. Schedule these events early!