November is Law School Application Month! We will be posting Tip Tuesday every Tuesday in November to keep applicants on track to submit by the end of the month. Click here for this week’s tip. And schedule some time in your planner to work on your applications!
Personal Statement and Resume Workshop – NEXT Tuesday, November 8, 4-5pm, Room 503, Illini Union Bookstore Building
The personal statement is one of the most difficult yet powerful elements of the law school application. Join us for this workshop, which will cover: What the personal statement is, how to prepare for writing it, and some tips and suggestions for making it reflect an applicant’s strengths. We will also discuss how the personal statement and resume can complement each other to create a stronger law school application. Please click on this link to register so that we can ensure enough seating and materials for everyone.
Pre-Law Club and Pre-Law Honors Society Present – Wake Forest University School of Law, Monday, November 7, 6pm, Lincoln Hall Room 1060
Want to meet law school admissions people and learn more about the stress-inducing personal statement? Wake Forest University School of Law will be coming to deliver a presentation on how to craft a strong personal statement as well as provide tips on how to approach the law school application process. All pre-law students are welcome so mark your calendars and take advantage of this great opportunity!
Law School Admissions Events
Save the Date – Midwest Law School Virtual Fair is Wednesday November 9th
Planning to apply to law school in the Midwest? The Virtual Fair will allow you to have your admissions questions answered by representatives from law schools across the Midwest in this FREE live online event. Get immediate answers to your pressing questions without the cost of travel. Only a one-time registration is required to explore and interact with multiple schools. For more information, call 770-980-0088 or to register: https://www.careereco.com/Fair/EventDetails?fairId=9efa1e96-3688-44b4-b606-a65200d69a89
New York University Law School — Online Admissions Event — Wednesday, November 9, 2;30 pm CST
To chat live with an admissions officer, plan ahead to join our online information sessions this fall. We strive to offer all applicants at least one opportunity to join these online sessions with an admissions officer in order to ask questions about our programs, the admissions process, or application procedures in a public forum. Click here to register and to participate in this event.
Upcoming Law School Open Houses and Admissions Events
As we explained in an earlier blog post, most law schools will offer tours or open houses for prospective applicants. Upcoming events include the following Open Houses:
- DePaul University College of Law – Saturday, November 12
- Chicago-Kent Law School – Saturday, November 12
- John Marshall Law School – Saturday, November 19
- University of Chicago Law School – Monday, November 21
- For more information check out the blog post or go to our Compass page for a list of such events at several Illinois law schools. You can find it by going to Compass and clicking on the “Applying to Law School” tab. It is the first item in that section. Fall break is usually a good time to attend one of these events or to contact the schools to arrange a visit so make your plans now!
Great Opportunities This Week Across Campus
The Career Center fall workshop calendar is posted on their website at: https://www.careercenter.illinois.edu/events. If you have not done so already, update your resume, plan your job search or summer internship, and get to know their office and resources. All sessions will be held at the Career Center, 715 S. Wright Street, unless otherwise indicated. Upcoming workshops include:
- Peace Corps Drop-Ins, Nov 8, 12-2 pm
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshop, Nov 9, 12-1, Women’s Resource Center
- Making Your Major Decision (virtual workshop), Nov 9, 3-4pm
- Illini Student Etiquette Dinner, Nov 9, 5:30-8pm, SDRP Ballroom
- Global Career Opportunity: Job Search in Taiwan, Nov 10, 4-6pm
- Resume, Cover Letter, & LinkedIn Reviews
- Nov 7, 2-4:30pm at the Career Center
- Nov 7, 7-9 pm, Undergraduate Library, Consultation Corner
- Nov 8, 5:30-7:30, the IKE, Room 1010A
- Nov 9, 2-4:30 pm at the Career Center
- Nov 9, 7-9pm, Undergrad Library,Consultation Corner
More Career Center events and times are listed on their website. Click on this link to see what other programs are being offered!