Prepare for Learning
- Read the syllabus and assignment instructions carefully to know what’s expected of you.
- Make time management a priority.
- Mark assignment deadlines and exam/live class schedules in your calendar and check your time zone.
- Make the most of your course’s online resources.
- Learn from others.
- Build relationships with classmates, TAs, and instructors.
- Make good use of office hours and discussion forums.
- Be familiar with the required technology.
- Be familiar with digital library resources.
- Find yourself a dedicated study space.
- Manage your stress, stay healthy, and stay positive
Participate in Live Sessions
- Join a meeting
- Meeting controls
- Test Zoom access: Join a meeting to make sure you can access Zoom without any problem.
- Test your login to the designated class session.
- Stay in a quiet well-lit room, free from audio or video distractions.
- Prepare your learning – read assigned articles or complete required assignments or course activities before the Live Session.
- Be comfortable – get things you need ready before the Live Session: use the restroom, get yourself water or coffee, try not to leave your desk during the session.
- Test internet/audio/video – make sure you can be heard/seen properly and your internet is stable.
- Stay focused – do not browse irrelevant topics or do other things that are not related to the content of the session.
- Join the class on time and stay for the full session. Notify your instructor with schedule changes or absences well in advance.
- Mute audio when you are speaking and turn on the camera.
- Dress appropriately, as you would for an in-person class.
- Do not talk about irrelevant topics through audio or chat.
- Follow class rules shared by the instructor, such as raising your hand to be called, and do not interrupt during the lecture.
More resources can be found at Adapting to Being an Online Student.