Research and Development Internship
This is a paid internship, and is long however. There is some weekend work, and a little travel is involved- approx. the second week students are asked to go to Kentucky to help in the fields for about one week. All expenses are paid for them. The pay is about 9.00 per hour, with OT, so there is some opportunity to earn some good money and learn about wheat seed development.
Provide assistance during wheat harvest, seeding preparation and seeding operations between June and October (with flexibility on an earlier end date).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Work outdoors in the field
· Hand-harvest wheat research material in the field
· Assist combine harvest of yield plots
· Operate laboratory size research equipment (e.g. threshers, cleaners, seed counters, etc.)
· Organize seed stocks in the warehouse
· Prepare seed for sowing
· Assist research planting operations in the field
· Other duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma, BSc or MSc, or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license preferred, required to pass MVR test
- Full-time hours commitment, including overtime and Saturdays
- Farming background and tractor driving skills preferred
- Students studying Plant Breeding, Agriculture, or similar encouraged to apply
- Able to meet physical requirements of the position including, but not limited to prolonged periods of standing and sitting, bending, kneeling, working in a variety of conditions (heat, cold, dust, damp, etc.)
- Exhibit regular and prompt attendance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move objects up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.