- University Librarian Note
- Alma Squad Report
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Task Force Updates
- Collection Development Committee Notes
- Content Access Policy & Technology Meeting Minutes
- Recognizing Excellence
- Filled Positions
- Searches Completed
- Searches in Progress or Pre-announcement
- Searches Approved but on Hold
EVENTS AND TRAINING
ANNOUNCEMENTS: University Librarian Note
On June 18, I announced the appointment of Victor Jones, Jr. as the Library’s first Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility. Victor’s first day is coming up in just a few weeks on July 16. Read more…
Back to Top
Alma/Primo Weekly Open Office Hour
Starting July 7, 2021, we will have an Alma/Primo Open Office Hour starting on Wednesday at 11 AM each week. Michael Norman will dedicate this hour to working in Alma or Primo Library Catalog to showcase many of the different activities in the two systems. In a collaborative manner, we will discuss Alma and the Primo Library Catalog and demonstrate the various functions of both systems. There will be time for questions and comments during the hour. The Zoom session for the weekly open office hour is:
Topic: Alma/Primo Weekly Open Office Hour
Time: Jul 7, 2021, 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Every week at 11:00 AM on Wednesday, until Sep 29, 2021, 13 occurrence(s):
Jul 7, 14, 21, 28
Aug 4, 11, 18, 25
Sep 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Task Force Updates
Teams were established to tackle various Year 1 goals on the Task Force’s charge (found here).
The Assessment Team has finished a survey to obtain a baseline of Library employee experiences and perspectives on DEIA-related issues within the Library. Results will be shared with the Library soon.
The Communication Team has added Task Force member bios to the TF web page and in an effort to communicate progress it will include regular progress updates in the monthly Library Office Notes going forward.
The Consultancy Support Team is researching DEIA consultants and will work with new DEIA Director Victor Jones to select one.
The Past Efforts Review Team has a draft report the TF is currently reviewing before sharing with the Library.
The Vision Statement Team has a draft of a Vision Statement and definitions of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility supported by the Library’s Executive Committee. These are being reviewed by the Library Staff Support Committee (LSSC) and the Library Committee of Academic Professionals (L-CAP) for feedback before being adopted.
Ultimately, each DEIA TF Team is working on reports that will be shared out with the Library.
DEIA TF Office Hours for Library colleagues will be offered soon. Watch for an announcement via LIB-NEWS.
For more information about the Library’s DEIA Task Force, please see https://www.library.illinois.edu/staff/committee/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-accessibility-deia-task-force/.
Back to Top
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Collection Development Committee Notes
The most recent meetings minutes of the CDC are posted at:
Back to Top
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Content Access Policy & Technology Meeting Minutes
The meeting minutes of CAPT (including workgroup reports) are posted at:
Back to Top
FACILITIES NEWS: Update
With Libraries starting to open and as faculty/staff begin coming back to onsite work, Library Facilities are working hard to respond to everyone’s request. As we prioritize each request to ensure we achieve all our customer’s needs we wanted to remind everyone of the following:
1. Facility Service Requests – For all your facility needs please ensure that you submit an OTRS ticket. Even if you are in doubt, submit a ticket, as this is the way we prioritize and track all our work. Sending an email without submitting a ticket causes confusion and delays our ability to respond to your needs. The link can be found through the Library Staff Website or https://otrs-prod.library.illinois.edu/otrs/customer.pl
2. Library Access – Note that employees with current card access will have access through the Summer. Card access guidelines for Fall are still under review.
- For any card access requests, if needed as employees begin to return to work, please submit an OTRS ticket and provide the employee’s NetID and/or UIN.
- For all key requests, refer to the procedures found here:
3. Space Cleaning – As employees return to onsite work, your space may not have been cleaned. This was due to BSWs performing COVID cleaning measures across campus. BSWs focused on cleaning in public areas, such as classrooms, restrooms (twice daily), hallways, and stairs. This focused cleaning will continue through the Summer. Library Facilities has cleaning and sanitizing supplies for your use in cleaning your spaces, this includes wipes, sanitizer, 409, and Green Works solutions. To request cleaning and sanitizing supplies, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Trash Emptying – BSWs will continue to NOT enter any private offices to perform any cleaning, including emptying of trash. A private office is defined as any office that requires a key to enter, which includes cubicles that have keyed doors into them. For emptying of trash, all employees are to place their trash can outside entry into their private office. The BSWs will then empty the trash and place the trashcan back at your door. If your office is in an open area with a desk or waist-high cubicle walls, then the BSWs will empty your trash without you needing to move it. Examples of private office vs open area are:
a. Scholarly Commons – trash cans at desks within Rm 306 will be emptied by BSWs;
however, those seated in the cubicles that have doors within Rm 306 will need to
place their trash outside your doors to be emptied.
b. Acquisitions – Rm 12 trash cans within cubicles will be emptied by BSWs; however,
the person seated in the office in Rm 12 will need to place their trash outside their
5. Emergencies – With returning to onsite work, please familiarize yourself with all Library Emergency Procedures, including the Building Emergency Action Plans, Fire Alarm, Tornado, and Water Leaks. All emergency procedures can be found here:
For a complete list of projects in planning and construction, please see https://wordpress.library.illinois.edu/staff/facilities/.
Back to Top
- Belinda Bolivar – Library Assessment Specialist – Library Assessment – 7/16/2021
- Victor Jones – Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility – BHRSC –
- Siobhan McKissic – Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian – Ricker Library –9/1/2021
- Yungjin Shin – Visiting Project Conservator – Preservation Services – 9/1/2021
- Donna Hoffman – Administrative Assistant – BHRSC – 7/31/2021
- Library Assessment Specialist – Library Assessment, AP – Sara Benson, Chair
Kick-off meeting scheduled for May 4, 2020. Vacancy Suspended until further notice. Kick-off meeting held Nov 4, 2020. Still awaiting IHR JD approval. JD approved. Live on the job board. Closed date of February 19, 2021. Phone screenings held on March 15 and March 19. Virtual interviews held on April 14, April 20, April 21, and April 22. Offer Extended. Belinda Bolivar’s start date July 16, 2021.
- Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility – Business and Human
Resources Services, AP – Cindy Ingold, Chair
Kick-off meeting scheduled for March 5, 2020. Position description pending approval.
Vacancy Suspended until further notice. Kick-off meeting held Oct 28, 2020. Awaiting
for EC to approve JD. EC approved JD. Live on the job board. Closed February 12,
2021. Phone Screenings held on March 15, 17, 18, 22, and 25th. Virtual interviews held on May 11, May 13, and May 26. Offer extended. Victor Jones’s start date will be July 16, 2021.
- Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian – Ricker Library, FAC – Kirstin
Dougan Johnson, Chair
Kick-off meeting scheduled for April 14, 2020. Vacancy Suspended until further notice. Kick-off meeting held Nov 2, 2020. Awaiting for EC to approved JD. EC approved JD. Live on the job board. Search closed Jan 29, 2021. Phone screenings held on Feb 22, 23, and 24. Virtual interviews held on March 29, April 2, April 5, and April 9. Offer extended. Siobhan McKissic’s start date will be September 1, 2021.
- Visiting Project Conservator – Preservation Services, AP – Tom Teper, Chair
Kick-off meeting held Nov 5, 2020. JD approved by EC. Live on the job board. Search closed Jan 22, 2021. Virtual interview held March 23, 2021. Offer Extended. Yungjin Shin’s start date will be September 1, 2021.
Back to Top
- Research Data Librarian – Research Data Service, FAC – Carissa Phillips, Chair
Kick-off meeting held February 16, 2021. Live on the job board. Closed April 9, 2021. Phone screenings scheduled for April 21, April 22, April 26, April 27, and April 29. Virtual interviews scheduled for May 17, May 18, May 27, and June 1. Offer pending.
- Dual Career-E-Learning Librarian – Research Information Services, FAC – David Ward, Chair
Kick-off meeting held May 24, 2021. Virtual interview held June 4, 2021. Offer pending.
- Assistant/Associate Director of Advancement, AP – Heather Murphy – chair 50/50 split with OVCIA
Virtual interviews held June 8, June 14 and June 15.
- Associate Director for Fiscal Operations – Business & Human Resources Service Center, FAC – Skye Arseneau, Chair
Kick-off meeting held June 7, 2021.
- Visiting Metadata Librarian (2 yrs. appointment) – Acquisitions and Cataloging, FAC –Dan Tracy, Chair
Kick-off scheduled for June 22, 2021.
Back to Top
- ACS Cataloging Coordinator – Acquisitions and Cataloging Services, AP – Mara
Kick-off meeting scheduled for May 13, 2020. EC approved position. IHR approved JD Oct 7, 2020. Live on job board. Closed Nov 6, 2020. Phone screenings held on Jan 4, Jan 5, Jan 6 & Jan 7, 2021. Virtual interviews held Feb 17, 23, and 26. CLOSED WITHOUT HIRE
Back to Top