Let me use this post to welcome you and the students in ABE 199, Fall 2015, Sustainable Biosystems International to Puerto Rico!
I am very much looking forward to receiving a phenomenal group of first-year students to Puerto Rico in a couple of days. We have some excellent tours set up. I have purchased a Go-Pro (R) camera—and a bunch of accessories—and I cannot wait to see how we document our trip. The students of ABE 199 will be guest authors for this blog over the next couple of weeks as they document the occurrences of this study tour.
I’d also like to thank the Departamento de Ingeniería Agrícola, at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez, specifically Professors Pérez-Alegría and Mathankar, for generously hosting us here during our visit. This will be the third time Dr. Pérez-Alegría and I collaborate to host students from Illinois in Puerto Rico.
Below you’ll see the phenomenal our draft agenda for the trip. It should be great.
If anyone has any questions about Puerto Rico please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.
- Arrive SJU
- El Yunque Day Trip
- Las Paredes Beach or Luquillo Beach or another beach
- Visit and tour of Recinto Universitario de Mayagüez
- Day Trip to Ponce
- Hacienda Buena Vista Reservation has been made 1:30PM – 3 PM (1PM arrival)
- Parque de Bombas
- Museo Castillo Serrallés (reservation may be necessary) 9am-6pm
- Centro Ceremonial Indigena
- Coffee Production and Processing Systems Tour
- Café Gran Batey Tour, Utuado
- Caguana Ceremonial Ball Courts Site
- Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
- Snorkeling Tour to Isla Icacos, Puerto del Rey, Fajardo
- Sugar Production Systems Tour
- Agricultural Research Stations Tour, Lajas
- La Bahía Fosforescente, La Parguera, Lajas
- (pending) Dairy Systems Tour, Hatillo or Fruit Tree Production and Nitrogen Runoff
- Arecibo Observatory, Arecibo
- Parque Nacional del Río Camuy, Arecibo
- Campus Work and Research Day
- Flexible Day
- Work on draft open house booth
- Faro de Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo
- Mayagüez Baseball
- First Day of Spring Term, Recinto Universitario de Mayagüez
- XX:XX-YY:YY Draft Open House Booth Presented on Recinto Universitario de Mayagüez Quad
- Dinner with Hosts and Selected Collaborators, Restaurant To Be Determined , Joyuda
- Day trip to Old San Juan
- El Castillo San Felipe del Morro
- La Fortaleza
- Viejo San Juan