You are trying to log-in to Canvas when you suddenly realize your phone is dead and you’re stuck on the 2FA screen. Fear not! You can simply log-in to the NetID Center and request a temporary passcode. The passcode will be sent to your primary email on file and, voila, you can now login with 2FA without your phone. For additional security, you can also add multiple devices to 2FA. That way, if you forgot your iPhone but you have your iPad, you can login with 2FA without requesting a temporary passcode.
Welcome to the new semester!
This week’s Tech Tip covers some of the most relevant and helpful resources and tips to prepare you for the start of the semester.
- 2FA, or 2-Factor Authentication uses your smartphone to keep your university accounts secure.
- Learn more about 2FA here.
- You can access your university email in Outlook once you have claimed your NetID.
- Learn more about Outlook here.
- Moodle is where you will access your course pages. Each course will look a little different, but this is often where you will find your syllabus, assignments, and grades.
- Learn more about Moodle here.
- A VPN can be used to gain access to some on-campus resources from off-campus.
- Learn more about the free Cisco AnyConnect VPN here.
- Box is an online cloud-based storage system that is useful for collaborating and sharing files and for accessing files digitally.
- Learn more about Box here.
Follow us the rest of the semester for a new Tech Tip each week!
This week’s Tech Tip is about 2-Factor Authentication!
Making sure you have a recovery email tied to your 2FA account that is not your Illinois email account is very important, since your Illinois email requires 2FA to log in.
If you don’t do this before your phone meets tragedy, you may have issues setting up a new device because you need to use 2FA to access your 2FA account.
This Tuesday’s Tech Tip is about 2-Factor Authentication!
Making sure you have a recovery email tied to your 2FA account that is not your Illinois email account is very important, since your Illinois email requires 2FA to log in. If you don’t do this before your phone meets tragedy, you may have issues setting up a new device because you need to use 2FA to access your 2FA account.
Did you get a new phone? You’ll need to update your 2FA account with your new device. This is true even if you have the same phone number.
For more information on all things 2FA, remember this website: https://verify.uillinois.edu
Time for this week’s Tech Tip of the Week!
This one has to deal with two-factor authentication. If you don’t know what that is yet, this is a good tip to read!
Are you getting an error message when you try to login to your email or Moodle? You may need to set up Duo Two-Factor Authentication, which adds an extra layer of security to your accounts. Download the Duo app on your mobile device and go to the NetID Center’s webpage to set it up.