With classes starting on Monday, it’s a good idea to make sure your preferred name is set in Self Service. Changing your name in Self Service ensures that your preferred name is used across all university systems (Zoom, Moodle, Canvas, etc.). To change your name in Self Service, follow the steps below or view them on the iSchool wiki here.
- Go to https://apps.uillinois.edu/selfservice/ and click University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Log in with your NetID and password.
- A main menu will appear, and you will want to click on Personal Information.
- Next, click on Preferred First Name.
- If you do not already have a preferred name listed, this statement will appear: “If you would like to use a FIRST name that is not your legal first name within the campus community, please enter a preferred FIRST name below. Refer to the Preferred First Name information for further details on where your preferred first name will and will not be displayed.” Proceed to step 8.
- If you already have a preferred name listed and are now changing it, the following statement will appear: “If you want to change your preferred first name, please click on the link below. Please refer to the University Preferred First Name Statement for further details on where a preferred first name will and won’t be used.” Your name should be linked below this statement. Click on your name.
- The following statement will appear: “If you would like to use a FIRST name that is not your legal first name within the campus community, please enter a preferred FIRST name below. Refer to the Preferred First Name information for further details on where your preferred first name will and will not be displayed.”
- There is a box below this statement where you can type in your preferred first name. After typing in your name, you can click Submit.
- The following statement will then appear: “Your Preferred First Name and Legal Last Name appear below as they will on class rosters and other Student systems. It may take 24-48 hours for all Student systems to be updated.” Your preferred name will appear below this statement.
- If your preferred name looks correct, you can then exit Self Service.
- To edit or remove your preferred name, follow the same steps as stated above, and when you get to step 8, you can either edit your name in the box or check the box next to your name that says Remove Preferred Name. Then click Submit.
- If you remove your preferred name, this statement will appear: “Your Preferred First Name has been removed. Your legal first name will be used throughout Student systems.”
If you would like to change your name so it is only reflected in Zoom, you can follow the instructions found on the iSchool wiki here.
Have a great rest of the week, iSchoolers!
This video will walk-through some of the aspects of Canvas Courses that you may see if you have courses that are hosted in Canvas this Fall!
(If you are having trouble viewing the video in your browser you can check it out here)
In order to add a profile picture to your Canvas account you would follow these steps.
After logging into Canvas, you will see a sidebar on the left side of the screen. When you click Account it will expand the smaller menu seen below, choose Settings.
The Settings will look like this:
Click on the circle at the top next to your name where your photo will go.
Clicking this circle will extend this menu of options where you can choose to either Upload a Picture from your computer or you can Take a Picture with your webcam.
When you’ve loaded a photo into Canvas you will be able to adjust how your photo looks in the profile picture circle. Once you’ve adjusted it to your liking, remember to hit Save.
Once you’ve saved and refreshed your window, your new profile picture will appear.
When you log into your Canvas account you are able to add your pronouns in your settings.
Begin by clicking Account in the sidebar on the left.
It will extend this menu where you will select Settings.
When your settings are opened, on the right you will have the option to Edit Settings.
Once you’ve opened your settings to edits, you will have a drop down menu with options for Pronouns.Once you’ve selected your pronouns, remember at the bottom to save any changes you’ve made to your profile by clicking Update Settings.
Once you’ve saved the changes you’ve made to your profile, your selected pronouns will appear by your name.