Did you know you can assign meeting participants to Breakout rooms before your meeting begins? You can, and this Tech Tip is going to tell you how!
There are two ways to pre-assign Breakout Rooms.
The first is by using the web portal to create Breakout Rooms.
This method will allow you to add participants by name/address, as long as they have an Illinois Zoom Account, in the web portal (https://illinois.zoom.us/)
The second method is to upload a CSV file to Zoom.
This method has you create a spreadsheet with your participant information and desired Breakout Room and then upload the CSV file to Zoom.
There are certain limitations to these methods:
- All students must be logged-in correctly to the account tied to the email that was used to assign them to a Breakout Room. Most problems with pre-assigning come from participants not being logged-in correctly. You can find information on how to switch Zoom accounts here.
- You can only pre-assign participants that have a Zoom account (internal or external Zoom users).
- To pre-assign participants that are external (non-Illinois) Zoom users, you must use the import a CSV file method.
- Up to 200 participants can be pre-assigned to Breakout Rooms.
- If you scheduled recurring meetings (which all classes should be), the pre-assigned Breakout Rooms will only work if it’s applied to all meetings in the recurrence. You can’t edit a single meeting in the recurrence and apply a unique pre-assignment.