A Cameo for our Silhouette Printer!

The IGL is home to a Silhouette Cameo printer. This printer allows us to cut designs into card stock paper.

416jJX7lqDL._SY300_

While the possible uses of this machine are endless, our primary use of this printer is to cut polyhedra nets. Recall that a polyhedron is a solid living in three space made from flat faces, straight edges, and sharp corners. The net of a polyhedron is an arrangement of polygons in the plane which can be folded to become the faces of the polyhedron. We print our nets onto 5 different colors of card stock.

0415151020

Each piece of paper has the net for 5 different platonic solids. Today, for your viewing pleasure, I used two nets to make platonic solids. I began with a cube as a warm up. The net is easy to punch out of the card stock.

0415151024

I folded the paper along the predetermined edges and began sticking tabs into slots.

0415151026

It was fairly easy going until I had to place the final face into position. I believe little fingers have a definite advantage in assembly.

0415151026a

And done! A cube!

0415151034a

Next, I folded an icosahedron, a solid folded from 20 triangles.

0415151029

With the cube, I carelessly attached faces wherever. I quickly found I needed to pay attention with this net, or I was not going to end up with an icosahedron. Incorrect start shown.

0415151031

I started over and fairly quickly arrived at attaching the final face.

0415151033

Again, the last face was the hardest part. At last, an icosahedron!

0415151034

As a final note, our polydra nets have become a vital component of our outreach activities. Below, graduate students assist children at Lego League in using the nets to fold solids.

1