IAS Library Faculty Profiles: Introducing Lisa Renee Kemplin

This is the first post in a new series that will help you get to know the faculty and staff at the International and Area Studies Library (IASL). The IAS library welcomes Lisa Renee Kemplin as the new office manager staring this 2013 fall semester.  Lisa Renee first considered libraries as a career choice when she worked in circulation at the Champaign Public Library; she enrolled in the Graduate School for Library and Information Science and obtained her Masters in Library Science in 2011.

“I full heartedly believe in the mission of public libraries and the role they play culturally and socially as places of information, education, and recreation” – Lisa Renee Kemplin

“I full heartedly believe in the mission of public libraries and the role they play culturally and socially as places of information, education, and recreation”           – Lisa Renee Kemplin

What brings you to the International and Area Studies library? What are you most excited about working on here? I was ready for new challenges and opportunities.  I am excited to work with so many colleagues from other cultures and areas of interest.

Please describe a cool resource at the IAS that you want everyone to know about!  I am new to IASL so am still learning about all of our wonderful resources. I was not aware that IASL had the Bookeye scanner and know that this is an excellent resource for researchers. We also are unique in having so many area subject specialists. You can access some more information by visiting our website: http://www.library.illinois.edu/ias/

What are some of your proudest accomplishments as a librarian, or other career that you’ve held? I think in all my careers it comes down to the one-on-one interactions, whether it be a colleague or patron. Sometimes it is the everyday exchanges that can be so rich and rewarding.

Do you have any career advice for someone interested in the kind of work that you do? Seek out what you are passionate about and be open to new experiences. I think having a broad base is useful.

How does your MSW inform your current work as a librarian? Although my career in counseling was not initially part of the plan to go to library school, I can see so many similarities in each of the fields. I believe our experiences and training inform all of our endeavors. At the heart of both SW and LIS is connecting people to resources.

Favorite thing to do in the C-U area: One of my favorite things to do is go to the Farmer’s Market Saturday mornings at Lincoln Square. I’m there rain or shine. Even if I’m going out of town and can’t really make produce purchases, I will stop by. I love the atmosphere and sense of community.

Favorite Place Visited: Two years ago I took my first trip to Paris. I fell in love with that city — I say first trip because I hope to return.

Favorite Quote: I don’t really have a favorite quote but will share this one from Ram Dass: “We’re all just walking each other home.” This is a poem that I also like:

Lost – David Wagoner

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows
Where you are. You must let it find you.

Hidden talent: Well now, it wouldn’t be hidden if I shared it, would it?

Share this post:
Facebook Twitter Tumblr