The 2019 workshop was held September 28-29. Thank you to all who contributed to this event! View the full set of resources under Agenda 2019. Look out for news on next year’s workshop in the near future.
Luncheon and keynote talk | “The role of economics and integrated modeling for sustainability science”
Elena Irwin (Ohio State University)
Luncheon and panel discussion | “New directions for ag-environmental research”
Katrina Jessoe (University of California Davis), Frank Lupi (Michigan State University), Ariel Ortiz-Bobea (Cornell University)
The Heartland Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop was held for the tenth year at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday September 28 to Sunday September 29, 2019 in the Illini Union on the University of Illinois campus. The workshop (Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon) featured:
- A luncheon with keynote speaker on “The role of economics and integrated modeling for sustainability science” Elena Irwin (Ohio State University)
- A luncheon with panel discussion on “New Directions for Ag-Environmental Research” featuring Katrina Jessoe (UC Davis), Frank Lupi (Michigan State), and Ariel Ortiz-Bobea (Cornell)
- Multiple sessions of contributed 20-minute paper presentations
- Two sets of 10-minute short research presentations
- Research posters displayed during a reception and breaks
- Numerous breaks to share ideas and develop new collaborations
The goals of HERE@Illinois were, as always, to stimulate research and build community in environmental economics with partial focus on the Midwest. The workshop brought people together to exchange ideas and foster new collaborations. Through selected paper sessions, it identified pressing public policy issues and emerging research themes on environmental and resource economics. Finally, it provided networking and development opportunities for graduate students and early career faculty in environmental and resource economics.
2019 Organizing Committee: Professors Amy Ando, Kathy Baylis, Peter Christensen, Tatyana Deryugina, Don Fullerton, Ben Gramig, Madhu Khanna, and Erica Myers from the University of Illinois.
2019 Sponsors: The Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, the College of ACES Office of Research, the Gutsgell Endowed Professor Fund, and the Center for Global Studies at the University of Illinois.