Heartland Workshop: October 28-29, 2023
Registration is now open! Register here. Space is limited to 80 participants, including speakers.
The Heartland Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop will be held for the thirteenth year from Saturday, October 28 to Sunday, October 29, 2023 at the Illini Union on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. Topics for contributed paper sessions will be chosen based on the submissions we receive and will not be limited to the theme of the keynote and panel.
Eli Fenichel, Yale University
“The New Era of Economic Measurement and the Environment”
Mary Bohman, Bureau of Economic Analysis
J. Wesley Burnett, Economic Research Service, USDA
Corbett Grainger, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Bonnie Keeler, University of Minnesota
The day-and-a-half long workshop (mid-morning Saturday through mid-afternoon Sunday) will feature:
- A luncheon on Saturday with keynote talk by Eli Fenichel (Yale University) on: The New Era of Economic Measurement and the Environment.”
- A luncheon on Sunday with panel discussion on natural capital with Mary Bohman (Bureau of Economic Analysis), J. Wesley Burnett (USDA ERS), Corbett Grainger (University of Wisconsin-Madison), and Bonnie Keeler (University of Minnesota).
- Multiple sessions of contributed 20-minute paper presentations.
- One set of 8-minute short research presentations.
- Research posters displayed during breaks and a reception.
- Numerous breaks to share ideas and develop new collaborations.
Check out the agenda here.
The goals of HERE@Illinois are, as always, to stimulate research and build community in environmental economics with partial focus on the Midwest. The workshop will bring people together to exchange ideas and foster new collaborations. Through selected paper sessions, it will identify pressing public policy issues and emerging research themes on environmental and resource economics. Finally, it will provide networking and development opportunities for graduate students and early career scholars in environmental and resource economics.
Registration numbers are limited to keep the size of the event conducive to active exchange of ideas. Spread the word and tell your colleagues and graduate students! We hope to see you in Urbana-Champaign in October.
2023 Organizing Committee: Professors Shadi Atallah, Peter Christensen, Sandy Dall’Erba, Tatyana Deryugina, Andy Hultgren, Jared Hutchins, Madhu Khanna, Bill Ridley, Marin Skidmore, and Yilan Xu from the University of Illinois.
2023 Sponsors: The Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, the College of ACES Office of Research, the Department of Economics, the Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, and the Center for Global Studies at the University of Illinois.