HDFS and Pre-Law

I initially did not apply to be an HDFS major. The summer after my senior year of high school, Diana Rodriguez, the Chicago recruiter for the College of ACES, told me that I would love the HDFS department and consider switching my major. I remember being hesitant to change my major so early in my college career, but I am incredibly grateful that Diana’s charisma sold me. Since freshman year, the HDFS department has been my home and has helped me find my passion for pursuing a law career. The first person you meet at orientation is Barbara Anderson, the HDFS academic advisor. Her office is always open to talk about doubts, future career plans, etc. She saw me a lot and helped me find many of the experiences that shaped me today. During my freshman year, the MANRRS organization (Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences) took me to networking events across the United States that taught me to confidently sell myself to employers and learn the art of networking. During my sophomore year, I got involved in the MAKE IT Lab led by Dr. Jennifer Hardesty. Dr. Brian Ogolsky gave me firsthand experience in reading court documents and analyzing legal aspects of divorce hearings. They and U of I law student, So Young Park, guided me through the law school application process. The most exciting experience I have had in college is participating in the HDFS 450 Practicum class my senior year. Dr. Ebata matched students with local agencies to get real-world experience in their field of choice before graduating. I was lucky to be paired with Land of Lincoln Legal Aid, and I could not be happier. My experiences at the U of I and the HDFS Department will most certainly help me when I attend law school next fall!

Camila is an HDFS senior with a concentration in family studies and aspires to become a family lawyer.