Applying Classroom Learning to Real-World Issues

My favorite HDFS class is HDFS 220: Families in Global Perspective. At first, I wasn’t for sure how much I would enjoy the class because I had never taken a global studies course. As the class resumed, I was enjoying class more and more. We were exploring a variety of factors that affect families in different countries, incorporating historical context and how it plays a role in today’s society, politics, and culture. In this class, I gained knowledge and skills that are needed to understand the rapidly changing world we live in. I also had a phenomenal professor, Gail Ferguson. Her classroom setting was interactive, she communicated with students to teach us the material, and she would have students apply the learning materials to real-world situations. I would always look forward to attending the next class session to learn something new, and this class was a great foundation for my future global studies courses.

Alia is an HDFS junior with a concentration in child and adolescent development and aspires to become an obstetrician and gynecologist.