Meet the Staff: Fall 2015 Edition – Jamie (aka the writer!)

Once again, welcome everyone! Hopefully your first day of classes is going smoothly.

We’ve got quite a few new hires to the HD/ITD team this semester, and I just so happen to be one of them. So, without trying to come off as cocky, I’d like to get this Meet the Staff initiative started with myself.

I’ve lived in Buffalo Grove, one of those suburbs outside of Chicago, for most of my life with my parents and usually at least two cats. I’m 24 years old (as of yesterday!) and I graduated from University of Minnesota in 2013 with an undergraduate degree in Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature, and a minor in Japanese language. I worked full time as a hostess at a teppanyaki restaurant (you know, the place where you sit at the grill and the chef flings your food at you) for a year and a half before deciding to finally pursue a career in library science. I joined the GSLIS program earlier this year, making this my third semester. My concentration is youth/K-12 services, particularly in high school library services.

In terms of classes, so far I’ve really enjoyed Fantasy Literature and Media for Youth (LIS446) and Media Literacy and Youth (LIS515). Cataloguing for School Libraries (590CBL) was somewhat of a challenge, but still incredibly interesting to go through.

I’m a big peruser of the internet, mainly Youtube, Twitter, and Tumblr. I also really like watching television; I’ve got my eye on the Syfy show Face Off, recently I did a binge rewatch of Parks and Recreation, and right now I’m making my way through Spartacus. I’m a HUGE fan of cartoons, some things you never grow out of. I particularly love Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and Avatar. I’m also a huge fan of video games. If you’re looking to gush or if you’re looking for recommendations for LGBTQ-positive media, hit me up and I’ll bombard you with links to websites with pages upon pages of recommended reading.

I’m looking forward to working at the Help Desk and meeting all of you!

Facebook Twitter Linkedin