Is Social Bookmarking Site Delicious Shutting Down?

According to the Delicious Blog, the social bookmarking service is not shutting down but looking for a new home “outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be competitive.”  There has been a lot of chatter about what users should do with their delicious bookmarks as well as what other services are available to manage bookmarks.  I use Xmarks to manage my bookmarks in-browser (which recently threatened to shut down as well), but I’ve also been a long time user of delicious.  A little while back I read an article on Lifehacker about how to export delicious bookmarks and import them into your browser of choice.  I’ve also come across this article today about how to export delicious bookmarks to Evernote.  In addition, I’ve heard of a service called Diigo which is similar to delicious, according to their help page:

“Diigo aims to dramatically improve your online productivity. Building upon the strengths of award-winning Diigo V4, widely regarded as one of the best and most popular social bookmarking, web annotation, collaborative research services,  Diigo V5.0 has added additional data types (screenshots, pictures, notes, etc) and platform support, such as Chrome, Android, iPad, iPhone, etc.  With Version 5.0, Diigo moves one step further towards its vision of providing the best cloud-based  personal information management (PIM) service that enables users to collect, highlight, access and share a variety of information, on a variety of devices.”

I’m sure there are a bunch more services and strategies out there for managing personal and social bookmarks.  Make sure to share your thoughts and ideas in the comments.

Facebook Twitter Linkedin