Team Awesome!

Ever wonder who is moderating your LEEP class? Or who sets up your conference calls? Or maybe you’re just wondering who all these awesome (and extremely good looking) people are on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the GSLIS building. Well you’re in luck – it’s the Team Awesome blog edition!

So who is Team Awesome you ask?: The wonderful people from the Instructional Technology Division (ITD) and the Help Desk 🙂

Matthew Beth
Matthew Beth
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: Lifer (ha ha) started MS in Fall 2000
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time?: was GA with ITO have been FTE with ITD since graduating
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: Cause it’s awesome
4) One interesting fact about you: I live with lovely wife, two dogs, three year old kid, twin babies and 89yrl old grandpa in love.

Leighton Christianson
Leighton Christianson
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: Lifer (ha ha): Second year MS, in Data Curation.
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time?: Both ITD and Help Desk
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: Desire to learn how to preserve our digital present.
4) One interesting fact about you: Once wrote his whole life story in tweets ( in next Team Awesome blog edition!). Also drove trucks while naked.

Jill Gengler
Jill Gengler
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: Year in GSLIS… let’s see… I started as a student in 1997, so I guess I’m in lucky year 13 (although I did finish the MS in ’99).
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time?: Help Desk. Full time, all the time.
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I originally chose GSLIS because I was interested in the convergence of librarianship and technology. I started in the LEEP program because I didn’t want to have to move to Champaign and I was intrigued by the way the program was going to use the internet to deliver content. I have stayed with GSLIS because I love working with this diverse group of people. I enjoy the challenge of positioning our Help Desk as a technology reference desk and proving that librarians can bring unique skills to many different settings.
4) One interesting fact about you: My birth was announced by Roy Clark on Hee Haw.

Dan Hahn
Dan Hanh
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: 2nd year masters student
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time?: – Help Desk GA
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I was working part time gigs in 2 different libraries. I wanted the degree so I could get full time work.
4) One interesting fact about you: I have 5 brothers (one of them is a GSLIS alum working in the UGL) and 1 sister.

Hannah Kim
Hannah Kim
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: 1st year Master’s student
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time?: Help Desk GA.
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I didn’t want to take the GREs…. uh, I mean… I love Champaign-Urbana???
4) One interesting fact about you: I have a twin brother. And no, we are not identical (you wouldn’t believe how many people ask us this question).
Xiying Mi
Xiying
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: Second year Master
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time?: Both ITD and Help Desk GA
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I chose GSLIS was because I wanted to work in a library. I volunteered two year in Champaign Public and started to like working in libraries, being helpful and having chance to meet/talk to different people.
4) One interesting fact about you: One interesting fact about me: I love photography. I am not professional but enjoy playing with it.

Kyle Painter
Kyle Painter
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: 2nd year Master’s student
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time: ITD
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I like the school’s emphasis on using technology constructively to support human-defined goals, rather than simply getting excited about technology for technology’s sake. Oh, and and my life didn’t have nearly enough argyle in it.
4) One interesting fact about you: I make my own beer, wine, mead, cider, and cordials, and I am also a certified beer judge.

Laksamee Putnam
Laksamee Putnam
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: CAS Year 1 – focus: Emerging technolgies in academic science libraries
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time: Pre professional grad assistant for ITD
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I was accepted to University of Hawaii, University of Michigan and University of IL. I chose to come the GSLIS because their program was the most oriented toward my interest in biological information science.
4) One interesting fact about you: I love scuba diving and I have a greyhound.

Ashley Rayner
Ashley Rayner
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: Second Year Master’s Student
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time: I work at ITD full time!
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: Because I’m from Chicago and I thought it would be nice to be close to home! Not to mention the outstanding program, kind and helpful people, and the professors at the top of their field!
4) One interesting fact about you:My superpower is getting public transportation doors (train, bus, etc) to stop RIGHT in front of me! It works 60% of the time, every time!

Adam Rusch
Adam Rusch
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: 2nd Year MS in LIS
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time: ITD GA
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I chose to come to GSLIS because of my interest in online groups and the way that people share and create knowledge in communities. Since that time I have become fascinated by the possibilities of online instructional technologies and the way that people learn through new media.
4) One interesting fact about you: I own a Chevrolet Caprice that has a PA Speaker under the hood which I sometimes use to Rickroll campus bars after I get done working the evening shift as a LEEP GA.

Sam Sednek
Sam Sednek
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: 3rd semester Master’s
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: I chose GSLIS because their Help Desk is clearly the best in the nation. Oh, and because the school does an excellent job of PR.
4) One interesting fact about you: I still have nightmares about the animatronic creatures at Chuck E. Cheese

Samantha (Sam) Wittenberg
Sam Wittenberg
1) Year in GSLIS and Program: C.A.S.
2) Are you an ITD or Help Desk GA/Full time: ITD all the way
3) Why did you choose GSLIS?: super multidisciplinary… the possibilities are endless
4) One interesting fact about you: I’m the oldest of four kids.

Hope you liked learning more about us! Look out for more Team Awesome blog editions every other Friday 😉

Facebook Twitter Linkedin

One comment